That Dreaded Question Again. Is It His Time?

Wally has been quite sore since his fall so I called his vet to increase the gabapentin. He said he was already at the high end of dosing and I should give him one regular Tylenol every 8 hours instead. Anyone heard of this? I always thought Tylenol was dangerous for dogs.

I've never heard that before, you might want to get a second opinion. Also, you may wavy to check out trying alternative treatments like cold laser, acupuncture and chiropractic. It has done my girl a world of good, especially after she went down a few weeks ago.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I've never heard of giving a dog tylenol either. I don't know what dosage Wally is on, but my vet said the max dosage of gabapentin is quite high, I think she said 800mgs/day for my small (%% lb) girl. If he can tolerate tramadol, that would be another option for additional pain relief.

It is so very hard to know what is the right thing to do in this situation (not the immediate pain relief, the long term decision) :bighug

Anyone would be sore after what happened. I'm certain he strained a whole bunch of stuff. Tylenol suggestion does sound odd. Why wouldn't he get you more metacam or tramadol? (you said you were out). And I don't believe that he's at his max dosage. How much does he weigh? Kasey was allowed quite a bit and I think he was close to 50 lbs by the end of it all. Have you considered prednisone at all? We used that in combination with gaba, he was on it forever and we just kept him on it while we treated the LS. I agree with with greysmom especially this:

As you're trying to manage him towards the end of his life, IMO, you need to do whatever you can (up to a certain point) to maintain his quality of life without worrying too much about long term side effects - control pain, manage mobility, encourage eating.

{{{HUGS}}}

We're thinking of you.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Anyone would be sore after what happened. I'm certain he strained a whole bunch of stuff. Tylenol suggestion does sound odd. Why wouldn't he get you more metacam or tramadol? (you said you were out). And I don't believe that he's at his max dosage. How much does he weigh? Kasey was allowed quite a bit and I think he was close to 50 lbs by the end of it all. Have you considered prednisone at all? We used that in combination with gaba, he was on it forever and we just kept him on it while we treated the LS. I agree with with greysmom especially this.

Metacam really doesn't agree with his stomach, even when he was a much younger dog he couldn't take it.

He's never been on tramadol. He once took hydro morphine (I think that's what it was called) and he completely tripped out. I thought he was in severe pain before I realized it was the drugs causing the reaction. I was told that they are in the same family so should avoid tramadol too.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I've never heard that before, you might want to get a second opinion. Also, you may wavy to check out trying alternative treatments like cold laser, acupuncture and chiropractic. It has done my girl a world of good, especially after she went down a few weeks ago.

We did around 10 sessions of cold laser throughout the summer. I honestly never saw any improvement. He also becomes so stressed out at the vets that all he would do is tremble and pant the whole treatment, definitely not a relaxing experience. I was really hoping he would learn to enjoy it but it never happened so I stopped. It wasn't worth the stress for him.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I did end up giving him the Tylenol this afternoon. It seemed to help, he was not as whiny and far less restless this evening. I will probably continue for a few more days if it continues to go well, then see how he's doing after that with just the gabapentin.