Forcing Pills

Pilling your pup can be a challenge. When Wendy first started needing daily meds, hiding the pill/capsule in a high value treat worked great...for about a minute. After a while, I guess she could maybe smell the medication in the treat (?), but anyway, she just would not eat anything that was offered if it had a pill inside. Now I offer a pill-less very high value treat first. Then, I grab her upper jaw, apply very gentle pressure, ask her to "open" and I insert the pill as far back and to the side of her mouth as I can. Even before she swallows, I've got a "jackpot" (lots!) of very high value treats right under her nose and I'm praising her (goooood girl! gooood girl!) profusely all the while. She's so eager to eat the treats that are being offered that she seems to forget that there's a pill going down her throat. God bless her little pointed head! Wendy is a very goooood girl! :beatheart

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest rferguson

My method:

Put some Kibble in a Kong, seal it shut with Peanut Butter. Smoosh pill into peanut butter.

He thinks the pill is the kibble he's after. Or maybe he just doesn't care, we haven't talked about it.

Have you tried a series of treats, so you can slip the loaded one in and he won't notice? So like - plain treat, plain treat, pill treat, plain treat. They are usually so greedy they gobble them up in anticipation of the next one.

Yup-- one finger has the pill in PB, the other hand has just PB-- hand over the pill and immediately stick the next finger at hit snout so her keeps licking... this has become my go-to pill method

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).