Poop Issues New Grey, Worms And Weight Loss

Hi all,

New grey owner here! Have posted once about bonding but having some health issues we need advice on please.

We have had our 3 y/o boy about 11 weeks now. He came to us at a weight of 82 lbs and his racing weight was 80 lbs.

He had mostly soft stool from the beginning with some with slight form. We put him on eukanba when we first got him, which was a switch from Purina dog chow adult from the rescue group. He was put on doxy for about a month because his white cell count was high and the vet thought maybe he had tick borne disease.

He also was diagnosed with hooks, which we have treated twice with a 5 day course of Panacur. We saw a live worm (guess you can't see hooks, so had to be another kind of worm, but what other worm could survive 2 rounds of Panacur other than hooks?)AFTER the double treatment and so he was then treated with Drontral plus as he had some blood in his poops so was also put on metronidazole. He also had a blood test for allergies which said he is allergic to pork, peas, corn, wheat and peanuts. Many of those things were in the Eukanba so we transitioned him to yet another food.

We have had him on a probiotic, Fortiflora flora since we got him. His poops are nothing but soft serve goo and have not improved the slightest with No form and I even feel they are worse then when we first got him and wonder if the new food is not right. He has been on it over 3weeks. We felt he was skinny and weighed him today and he has lost 5 lbs in one month!!!! He is not vomitting and is eating.

I ordered some Olewo carrots thinking it's worth a shot, but am wondering how if I shouldn't add something else new into the mix. I am pretty concerned now about this weight loss and don't know what I should do to resolve the poo either. Any help is much appreciated! 👍

Many thanks!!!!

Panacur doesn't kill common dog tapeworms -- you need praziquantel for that. Most often what you see in poop is tapeworms.

How did he do on the Eukanuba? What are you feeding now, and how much?

Allergy tests aren't all that accurate so it could be you could feed some of those things without ill effects.

Sometimes no matter how much you feed, they'll lose weight for a couple months. Being new to a home takes a lot of energy. You're right to keep an eye on that, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, I'd suggest putting him back on the food he was on when you got him. None of his symptoms point to a food allergy, so I'd love to know who suggested the allergy test, as typically dogs are tested by food elimination trials.

Food allergies typically present as itchy feet, armpits, and ears.

Soft stool could mean many things, from stress to a food that simply doesn't agree with him, to parasites. I would have his stool retested, and put him back on the original food.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck