To Wait Or Not To Wait. . .

Guest Literaqueen

Guest Literaqueen

I've had my houndie girl for just under two years, and she's adjusted well. Until now. We've had a solid morning walk routine where she eats at 5:30 when I get up, she lies down on her bed for about an hour and a half, and then we do our morning potty walk at 7. She's always jumped up from her bed, excited for a treat and a walk. About a month ago, she started needing to be coaxed off her bed. I figured it was the weather since June was pretty stormy. The weather calmed, but Fly didn't. Refused to get off her bed. About a week ago I tried a new routine where I clipped her leash on, talked happy for her to get up, then gently tugged. She jumped up and we walked. That worked for about four days. The fifth day she snarled and air snapped at me. I can bribe her with car rides, but that's not practical on a daily basis. I don't want her to equate me coming near her bed with being forced to do something. I also don't want her to think she always gets a car ride in the morning. This morning I tried waiting her out. Even though she had a full bladder and colon (it had been twelve hours since nightly pee, and almost fifteen since she'd pooped), she roached and seemed comfortable.

What's the point at which waiting the dog out leads to a bladder infection? Even high value treats don't coax her off the bed at this point. She was boarded over the weekend, so she shouldn't have been bothered by fireworks, although I suppose that's possible. We did have a storm last night, but she slept through it. Also, we've never had this issue in two years of stormy weather until now. Ideas for (re)encouraging her to get off her bed for morning walks? Final resort might be to change her routine so we walk immediately after she eats, although that option would require me to either get dressed or walk her two blocks in my jammies. . .

Something fishy going on imo. Are you absolutely sure that nothing 'hurts' her on her walks now-like a corn or something orthopedic or something? 'Something' has happened to give her a negative association with it instead of a positive. At any rate I would set about re-establishing the positive association with the what had been the regular morning walk. Appeal to whatever drives she has so she enjoys it. If she has prey drive play with a toy ; if she has food drive give food treats, heck do both; be happy and talk squeaky voice and make her believe that the morning walk is the best thing ever. At first it may not be much of a walk-as soon as she relaxes and has fun back in, walk is over. The point is to get her to associate only happy good things with going out for the walk. Build it up from there. As you extend the time/distance gradually continue rewarding her during the walk at variable times and stay happy yourself. Don't stress, it will work out. WHATEVER YOU feel runs straight down the leash and she knows it and will react to it. You MUST remain calm, confident and neutral for her sake. It will be OK- look at it as an experience that will deepen your bond even more- that's good. Also I would start her on Bach's Rescue Remedy. Perhaps the stormy weather did upset her and the RR will help her to get her little energies back in order :) if so.

The fireworks may have a lot to do with it...our Coop refuses to get off her bed sometimes, we have to lift it and shake it (with her still on it, what fun!) to get her to move. Fly may be so comfortable with you now that she knows she can outwait you and doesn't give a hoot about your schedule. If you change your routine to walk immediately after she eats her food won't be digested enough to result in output. Do you let her out first thing, before you feed her at 5:30?

Guest Literaqueen

I should clarify: she loves the actual walk once she's out the door. It's getting off her bed that's the issue. She just doesn't want to get up. She leaps up at 5:30 when the alarm goes off and runs to her food dish, so it's not a physical issue. She also leaps up when she realizes I'm bringing the car around to the front door and is all wags and smiles at the front door when I put her leash on to go out.

I don't have a fenced yard, so letting her out isn't an option; I have to walk with her.

I'm hoping this is weather-related. . .

I've had dogs hold it much longer for one reason or another, and though it might contribute to UTIs, a healthy dog won't get sick just from not peeing. If the *have* to go, they'll go.

First, rule out any medical issue - pain in her legs or neck, corns, intestinal discomfort. Once you eliminate a medical reason, you can then move on to behavioral reason. Keep a close eye on her when you are out on your walks - does she seem anxious in any way, shy at a new place or object, seem to not want to go in a certain area, wants a shorter walk????

It could be something like not wanting to walk in the warmer weather as she gets older. It could be as simple as switching up her morning routine - walk first thing for P&P, then breakfast, then nap while you get ready, then a longer walk for potties and exercise. A walk after a meal isn't eliminating that meal, it's eliminating the food that was eaten the night before - it takes several hours to digest food - so going out right when she gets up might help.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Literaqueen

After an hour of waiting her out this morning, I finally looked at her and asked, "Do you want a ride?" Happy smiles, popped off the bed for her adventure. This during a rainstorm. On went the raincoat and we went in the car, drove down the street maybe two blocks, parked, and she trotted around happy as can be. Could it just be that she's bored and needs more interesting walks? This won't fly once it snows. . .

Guest xengab

Can I ask why do you leave so much time between her going potty after her food? If possible take her out after 20 minutes.