New To The Community

Guest Bayleaf

Guest Bayleaf

Hi, I found this site a while ago while looking for advice on moving my greys.

We have two greys. Braleigh has been my shadow for 10 years now, she used to be black but is now mostly grey at 12 1/2. Rocky (race name Tempo Gamefly) is a big white boy who joined the family last year.

Does anyone have up to date information/experience with putting greyhounds on a plane? We are moving to St Croix,VI next month, and the logistics for moving the dogs is my biggest stress and worry. I already know that they might have to wait until Fall to make the trip - so I'm working with my kids to babysit for a couple of months.

I recall reading a post from 2012 from a family who was moving their greys to St Croix, too. Are you still on here? How did you do it and how did it go???

Thanks!

Kris

Braleigh and Rocky

:welcome to GreyTalk!

Many GT members have flying experience with Greyhounds. My Greyhound flight planning is limited to the USA, but our adoption groups have had young hounds flown in from Spain, Guam, Korea, etc. Commercial airlines that fly animals have strict animal safety regulations. Transporting live animals in cargo requires their larger jets, plus destination airports that can accommodate larger jets. Dogs' veterinary check-ups and health certificates are required before flying, plus vaccinations required by airlines and the destination's animal laws. Travel crate sizes are very important. Dogs must be able to stand up, turn around, lie down comfortably, and have a certain number of excess inches above head, back, etc. Dogs are measured standing in their crate before being placed on plane. If crates are not large enough for their air safety regulations, airlines will refuse to accept the dogs before loading/take off. IME, airlines will not allow animals to have pre-flight medications (no anti-anxiety medications, etc.).

If possible, non-stop flights are safest for dogs' safety, otherwise a very brief layover without any change of planes is desired.

Some smaller aviation businesses are willing to fly dogs, but it's usually more expensive.

Perhaps GreyTalk member "NQ3X" will see and respond to your post.

If not, you might consider posting a separate thread in "Everything Else Greyhound" section (for greater visual traffic).

Here's a link to the 2012 thread: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/285967-air-travel-input/?hl=%2Btravel+%2Binput

Good luck, and please let us know how it went after you're all settled! :)

Welcome to you, Braleigh, and Rocky, and good luck on your move.

No experience flying dogs, but second the above suggestion to post in Everything Else Greyhound.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Bayleaf

Thank your! I am messaging NQ3X. St Croix is a small island, I'm sure the dogs will want to get together!

How does one upload a profile pic? I am probably just missing the button......

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bayleaf

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I haven't found any good news in my research. Turns out air cargo only goes to St Thomas, and then the dogs would have to get to St Croix on an inter-island flight, which is a small plane. I'm asking some people on the island who are in the know. At the least, the trip waits until fall and cooler weather.

Where will you be flying from?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...