Woody Hates Things With Cushions

Guest Bagel

Guest Bagel

Before I begin, let me say that he's brand new to the home (been here less than 48 hours), in case that's the problem.

Anyway, Woody hates things with cushions. He wouldn't try the crate (foam pad), his bed (also foam), and man did he jump off the couch. Instead, he's taken a liking to a cheap kitchen rug & two thin blankets I replace his crate pad with.

Is this unusual?

Relax and give him time. He's still adjusting to you and his new home. He will try cushions when he feels comfortable.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest normaandburrell

They get rugs or paper in the kennel, so he just isn't used to cushions. He will adjust. Make sure you really want him up on the couch. When they first come to you, some of them have space aggression issues and once they claim the couch, may not want to share it.

Edited by normaandburrell

Almost anything a Greyhound does who is new to a household is normal, IMO, even if they've been fostered. Cushy things haven't been a part of his life so he doesn't know -- yet -- how wonderful they will feel on his body. :)

My girl Annie, who I've had almost 5 years, likes softness but overly soft. If I put too much stuffing in any of her beds when it's time to restuff, she avoids it like the plague.

Buffy was the same way for a long time - seemed to prefer just lying on hardwood or a thin rug, especially in her crate. We gave her plenty of options and now she seems to be enjoying the soft life like a normal dog.

Edited by muddgirl

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

Guest Bagel

He finally got up on the couch (with a little bit of help), and now he loves it. The journey of the couch potato begins with the first step :)

Took Kingsley a while to want to be on a bed... he would often lie down on our hardwood floors right next to it.... took him a while, and he never liked super-squashy things-- I always assumed due to his broken hock that was never 100%.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest Scouts_mom

If he is still not using his nice cushy dog bed you might want to show him how soft it is. What I've done in this situation is call or lead him over to the bed. Put his front paws on it. Show him a yummy treat and place it on the far side of the bed so he has to put all 4 feet on the bed to get it. Let him be. Repeat as needed through out the day. At some point you will see a light going off in his brain as he realizes what he is standing on might be nice to sleep on.

One word of warning about the sofa: It is common,once a grey relaxes in a home, to assume that the sofa is his and no one else should use it. He may growl when someone else sits on the sofa while he is on it. If this happens. Say "No" sharply and tell him to get off the sofa (you may want to attach the leash to do this). Do not let him back on the sofa for a few days. He will quickly learn that he has to share the sofa with his people (unless you get him his own sofa).

We convinced Kasey that his bed was good by first allowing him to lay on a blanket on the floor. We moved the blanket onto his bed and bingo....never looked back.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• 2 weeks later...

Just wait. He's clinging to anything close to his normal. Let him go with what works.

Side note - a dog that new has no business on furniture yet anyways. Save yourself the headache and wait on the couch privileges for a while. Because he WILL love cushions soon.

Guest Elytc129

We've had our guy for three weeks. Mark (Parkin Mark) took to his cushy bed immediately and hasn't even thought about getting on the couch. Now if we can just get him over his serious SA we will be good to go. I think Woody and Mark were at IAGA together.