Amicar Question

Annette

I now know how important amicar is since Pogo's lost his leg to osteo. Because he ended up at the vet school for so long, he ended up receiving the majority of his amicar while under their care. We still have amicar left at home because of this. Odds are Miriam will be having surgery because she has been getting vulva infections lately and surgery seems inevitable. Does anyone know the protocol for administering amicar for a surgery like this?

Thanks

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Our hounds usually begin their aminocaproic acid (aka: Amicar) treatments beginning 1 day (or two for our more severe excessive bleeder) prior to surgery day. Our vet also requests that we give one dose on morning of surgery (even though hounds can't eat after midnight the night before surgery). I assume your leftovers are tablets that have not yet expired. (The liquid form has a greatly reduced shelf life.) Good luck with Miriam's surgery.

Amicar dosing is generally 500-650 mg, 3 times a day for 5 days. And yes, starting the day before the procedure. If compounded to a liquid it's only good for a week.

The price of Amicar shot up when a different manufacturer bought the company. Unless your vet has it in stock at the old price expect to pay $500-$650 for the 5 day course.

The day I needed Amicar for Percy was the day after the company was sold. It may take your pharmacy several days to get it in.

Dr Couto told me to have my vet write a prescription for Tranexamic Acid to control the bleeding. 650 mg, every 8 hours for 5 days. This may also have to be ordered by your pharmacy. It is an off-label use normally prescribed for women's heavy menstrual bleeding. The cost with a GoodRx.com coupon was only $70.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Amicar dosing is generally 500-650 mg, 3 times a day for 5 days. And yes, starting the day before the procedure. If compounded to a liquid it's only good for a week.

The price of Amicar shot up when a different manufacturer bought the company. Unless your vet has it in stock at the old price expect to pay $500-$650 for the 5 day course.

The day I needed Amicar for Percy was the day after the company was sold. It may take your pharmacy several days to get it in.

Dr Couto told me to have my vet write a prescription for Tranexamic Acid to control the bleeding. 650 mg, every 8 hours for 5 days. This may also have to be ordered by your pharmacy. It is an off-label use normally prescribed for women's heavy menstrual bleeding. The cost with a GoodRx.com coupon was only $70.

I myownself had to take TA a few years ago, and can say it's a pretty awesome drug. Did what it's supposed to do with no noticeable side effects. I'm glad to see it's being used for houndies now.

Two of our local pharmacies compound the medication (Aminocaproic Acid).... we paid $35 for a weeks worth (bottle)..... this was in the past month!

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

Because Pogo took us on a wild roller coaster ride after his amputation back in November, he ended up at the vet school for more than 1 week. When we initially brought him home they sent us home with a bottle of amicar. Because he developed a high fever and infection, Pogo ended up back at the vet school where he was given amicar, we still have most of the bottle they sent us home with. It does not expire till next year, so we aren't going to have to buy any.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)