Weird Nailbed

Any ideas what's going on here? Something is up with Zuri's nailbed on his outer toe on his left foot. Its almost like there's a bit of a growth there around the mail itself. When I first noticed it it would bleed fairly easily. Now if you touch it skin seems to flake off though I suspect it would bleed if I picked at it a bit more. His other toes don't look like that. My vet seemed unphased and it doesn't seem to bother him, but that's kind of hard to tell since he constantly dislocates a toe on that foot and has LS.

Anyway, not overly concerned, but curious. Hard to get a good photo, but here are a few attempts:

1023151628b.jpg

1023151628a.jpg

1023151628.jpg

ETA: Its been like this for a while now. First noticed it maybe 6 wks - 2 months ago.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Are you one of those annoying people who has perfect and strong nails? You know, the sort which seem to be reinforced with steel and able to be used to pick locks? If so, you won't get this. However, if you're like me with pathetic finger nails that break and bend and split and peel, then you'll be familiar with this. I have a feeling that this is what's happening and it happens to mine greys as well (and also my my own nails). Here's a link - scroll through to splitting nails. But generally, the nail is brittle and a bit traumatised (for instance, because you clipped it and it was at a funny angle and then got caught, or didn't cut cleanly enough).

looks like my dogs nails and nail beds. when felix had a fungal infection they were red and swollen. we used anti fungal cream. think of our cuticles, mine are never trimmed and can look quite funky. also the dogs are jamming their nails into the ground when they run, i'm amazed at how durable they really are.

Edited by cleptogrey

Brandiandwe, I have the crap nails like you do :P but this isn't a problem with the nail, it's the nail bed, or at least it seems to be.

Cleptogrey, could/would a fungal infection affect only one nail? I could see that being what this is.

ETA: Oh, now I see why you mentioned the nails themselves. Ignore the brittle nail in the photos, look at the nailbed. I might need to get a photo of another nail for comparison, but the toe itself if basically enlarged about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way around the nailbed if that makes sense.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Don't people have toe- or fingernail fungal infections that affect only one toe or finger? Not sure how they are diagnosed though. :dunno

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Dirt,debris and pressure on the nail bed as a result of running is what I have observed in Felix's toes. But the fungal infections generally have hit my dogs after a damp summer and lots of beach running. Sore nail beds and sand toe have been quickly relieved with medicated foot powder.

This could definitely be from pressure on the toe. Between his LS, possible arthritis and the constantly dislocating toe on the inside of the same foot it could just be there's extra pressure on that toe from him adjusting his gait to compensate. I have been trying to keep his nails much shorter in an effort to prevent the toe dislocations, but they managed to get long again recently so I'm working on trimming them back again and can see if it resolves after that.

If it helps, here's a comparison:

Same toe on other foot, no swelling:

QuickMemo_2015-10-23-18-33-43.png

Wonky toe:

QuickMemo_2015-10-23-18-34-01.png

Oops, just ignore all the adorable pics of Skye on the bottom of those. :P

is he licking it???

both nail beds look normal to me. some of felix's are pretty funky- i wish i could still post on gt.

i can send you some pics personally - either text/message of email. let me know----- those cuticles need a good soaking as Madge would do with what ever brand that dish soap was.....(i think you might be too young to remember).

Not licking it. I don't think the pictures are effective. All I can say is that the nailbed is enlarged, it's not normal. I don't think it's anything serious, but he has so many pain things we're trying to manage that if this is something that could be contributing even slightly that I could address I'd love to.

Ah well, Zuri's issues are NEVER straightforward. :headwall:)