Hot Climate, Should I Put A Lightweight Jacket On?

Guest Gus4Us

Guest Gus4Us

I live in a very hot climate area (Houston, TX). My boy is mostly white so his skin is visible through his coat. When I take him out should I put a light jacket on him to keep the sun off of his back? I don't want to overheat him, but am worried about possible sunburn.

Thanks,

Lisa

I would not put a coat on him, especially with Houston's humidity, it could be a problem for him. Some people use sunscreen on their white or bald dogs. There are varieties made for dogs, or you can use the kind made for kids. I live in hell Phoenix and I had a white and brindle with a fairly thin coat. I never put anything on him and never had a problem, but he didn't spend much time outside when it was really hot.

I agree about not using a coat. It doesn't take much for them to be uncomfortably hot without a coat. Adding one would exacerbate the situation. With the kind of weather your parts of the country have been having (TX and AZ), you're probably not outside for lengths of time anyway. Heck, I live in Upstate New York, temp is only 90 with a dew point in the 60s, so high humidity, and Annie's walks are limited to early morning, late evening and only 15-20 minutes each time or less if she's panting excessively.

Guest DarkHorse

One thing you can consider is a soaker coat (like these). It will cover up exposed skin, at least on his back, and when soaked prior to walks, will help keep him cool for at least a little bit. It won't help as much if it's humid, though, so keep that in mind.

Guest Gus4Us

Thanks everyone for all of the responses! It really is too hot here to walk during the day. I'll give him a week or two to get used to his new home and then maybe take him on short morning walks.

Don't wait to walk him - you can start that now. It's a good way to bond :)

I used to have a white boy with a thin coat, too. He did much better in the heat than my current brindle and black boys. I did have doggie sunscreen for him for those rare occasions he thought he ought to lie out in the middle of the yard on the hottest/sunniest days, but otherwise he was fine without it.

Congrats on your new boy :)

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire