Pooping In The Crate

Guest SonjaAndStella

Guest SonjaAndStella

I've had my greyhound for about a month now, and the first few weeks I had her I was home most of the time. I started vet school this past week, and have to have her in the crate for 3-4 hours at a time. She's started pooping out of the side of her crate...and I ALWAYS take her out before putting her in the crate. I know she doesn't have to go (I know her bathroom habits), so I'm thinking she's throwing a fit because I'm leaving her in the crate. What can I do??

Do you have to crate her? Maybe she would do better without it.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

And sometimes it helps to give her something that smells of you, a worn t-shirt if you can't leave the crate open.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest normaandburrell

Our adoption group encourages getting the dogs out of crates. You can always baby gate her in one room if you feel she would get into trouble having the run of the house. It does sound like she is getting nervous because you are gone. She even is trying to avoid soiling her crate by pooping out the side. So she may poop in whatever room you leave her in, at least until she gets used to your being gone. Giving her some of your dirty laundry would help. Our dog Iceman used to pull everything out of the dirty laundry when we left him, and pile it in his bed. The smellier, the better! Leaving the radio on also might help, as that is what they do at the kennels.

As a future vet, you should know that a dog doesn't "throw a fit" and poop just to annoy a person.

She probably hates the crate, or has some SA. She is very new to you, she got used to the idea you would be there, and now you're gone. You need to start fresh with some alone training. You can search the forum for a jillion discussions on it, or buy the booklet "I'll be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell (available as an e-book, I believe,on Amazon.com)

My dog is alone Mon-Fri for 9 hours and there are zero issues with him not being in a crate. I have a camera in my condo, and I know for a fact that he is sound asleep for at least 8 hours of the 9 I am gone!

Make sure you get up early and take her for a LONG walk on days you have class. A tired dog is a happy dog!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SonjaAndStella

Since she's a new dog, I don't trust leaving her out in my house with free reign for now. That's not an option quite yet. She doesn't whine or show any other signs of separation anxiety. Obviously I know dogs don't throw fits like people. I was light heartedly saying she shouldn't have to go to the bathroom. I take her out plenty. I appreciate any helpful training tips.

Give her a nice long walk before you leave, and leave her with a tasty frozen kong to work on while you're gone. I'll also second the recommendation of "I'll Be Home Soon" by Dr. Patricia McConnell. You'll want to nip any separation anxiety in the bud, and that booklet gives lots of great advice. :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest xengab

We have a new dog too and we use a frozen kong with peanut butter (organic kind with only peanuts as the ingredients) . It keeps him busy for a good hour, we then stuffed a few dog cookies inside with the PB and he has to really work at getting them out. Takes him 2 hours..