Concerned About Panting

Tonight for a few hours Ruby was panting while lying on her bed. She was not scared, this was not related to her anxiety issues, and there were no other symptoms. Our house was nice and cool, she ate her dinner fine and accepted treats, she had not been out for a walk or any running for about 6 hours. I found myself just staring at her tonight and trying to see if I could find any other symptoms. She did go visit my husband about 6 times tonight, which is a bit unusual, but her norm is about 2 times a night for a petting session. She looked to be struggling a bit when she would get up, but this is not new either, and she has been on a arthritis med for a few months.

Is the panting a sign of pain ? That is my concern. She does not mind you touching her body in any location.

What do you think ? I will gladly take her to the vet tomorrow if this sounds alarming. Right now she is sound asleep and is not breathing oddly.

Karen

How old is Ruby? Older dogs, just like older people, find it harder to regulate their temperature. If their tongue is pink and they're not stressed and if they settle eventually then it's probably nothing to worry about. Medications can cause it, especially steroids. It's something to mention to your vet next time you visit.

Some, like my Peggy, will pant after they've been brought in from finding something interesting in the yard.

It can be a sign of pain. I too watch mine carefully when they pant for no apparent reason.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Kasey started panting a lot over the last two years, seemingly for no reason/ House was cool, etc. It can be a sign of pain, but I have no idea what kind of pain. She might be overall uncomfortable, but it's really hard to tell if the sign is just panting.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Ruby just turned 8 in July. She is not panting this morning, but she did pant when she was awake throughout the night. She acts fine, eating and peeing/pooping normally. I am just paranoid probably and I feel like the vet will look at me like I am nuts. She has had recent blood work that was all normal. Will just watch and see for now and if it continues, take her in, She is getting a dental the end of the month, but will cancel that if the panting continues just because I would be too afraid to have her go under.

Thanks for the replies.

Karen

I used to think it was a sign of LP (laryngeal paralysis) but the vet assured me it wasn't, because it would have been more laboured. I don't know what Kasey's thing was to be honest.

If she does again, can you grab a small fan and point it at her? See if it stops. if it does, she's hot. Hard to believe, but it worked for Kasey on days the house was definitely cool enough. Maybe it was just the air circulation.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015