Post-Amputation Recovery Times?

Guest PipDG

Guest PipDG

Hi all. A friend's greyhound is 9 days post-amputation of one of her front legs following an osteo diagnosis. She's moving around ok, but still seems to be in quite a bit of pain - lots of panting and yelping when she gets up and down. She's just finished Rimadyl and now only has Codeine, which the vet has advised to not use too frequently. Is this level of pain to be expected? I feel like it's possibly not being managed aggressively enough by the vet.

It's possible. It's also possible she has some phantom pain, or pain in another part of her body from overuse and re-learning how to do everything.

The first two weeks are the hardest. If your friend suspects the dog is having too much pain, they should definitely contact her surgeon and oncologist. Codeine is what my boy used and he was fine, but he had a fairly uncomplicated recovery. Some alternatives include tramadol and feldane patches, though some dogs can have bad reactions to both of those.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest PipDG

Thanks. I think she had some Tramadol for the first couple of days but yes, pretty much every grey I've known has been fairly loopy on it. Might look into the Feldane patches though. Poor pup is going for long periods of time without a pee break because she doesn't want to move around. She's doing so well really, and hopefully will continue to do a little better each day.

Two weeks as Chris stated is typical however some pups it can be longer depending on various factors. Managing pain is hard to get right but is crucial. A chat with the vet is in order.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Taylor was on Tramadol before amputation, and for 2 weeks after, then slowly reducing the dosage over a week.

He panted a bit more when he was on it, but it controlled his pain.

​Check with your surgeon Monday morning and see what they suggest.

Guest PipDG

She has more Rimadyl now and the vet is doing a home visit tomorrow to decide whether she should also be prescribed gabapentin. She's still stress panting and going for a whole day without toileting, poor sweetheart!