Whether To Remove Mammary Glands

Guest Lesley476

Guest Lesley476

I have a 12 year old female hound which has been part of the family for 4 years. Around 10 months ago she pulled a muscle in her hind leg and for the last 6 months has developed tremors in both of her hind legs. The tremors seem to bother me more than her. The vet has said that it is old age. Metacalm has made no difference and she does not seem to be in any pain.

She has not been dressed and has developed 4 cysts in her stomach which were movable and one of the vets advised me to ignore as they were movable and shouldn't be a problem. The lumps have now relocated and after a recent check the vet has advised to get both of her mammary glands removed as a precaution. He has advised that it would require 2 operations. Due to her age I do not wish her to have to go through 2 lots of surgery but neither do I wish this to develop into cancer. Your comments/advice would be appreciated.

Over the past 6 months she has become rather vocal (she was very vocal to start with a huge shock to me as my last hound never barked once in 8 years!) She whines when she wants fed and then whines once she has been fed. She whines when it is bedtime and whines for petting. Basically she now whines for everything. Even the neighbours are beginning to comment on the whining. We still get the wagging tail, etc but the whining is driving us all nutty. She doesnt seem to be distressed in any way. she has also become very fussy about her food. She also barks now at most dogs, even the ones that she knows. Could this be dementia or canine cognitive dysfuntion?

My biggest concern is whether to operate or not.

One of my Borzois had to have a Mammary Strip operation at about age 5. It really wasn't easy and she managed to unzip one side on the day just before she was due home from the vets, that meant another 10 days in there wearing a cone and then another week back home with me. I don't think I'd be able to feel comfortable having it done to al oldie-hound. Now you may have a different perspective and might not be happy with palliative care options (and knowing when it really is time).

Go with your heart on this one.

I assuming she's intact? If so there is a rather high risk associated with intact females and mammary gland carcinoma. (Adenocarcinoma).

I would rather see if the vet could try to aspirate the masses to see if they can determine what type of tumor you are dealing with before going to surgery. They could just be benign. I would also get chest rads.

Regarding the leg tremors-it very well could be essential nerve tremors- a benign condition--it's similar to the shakes that older people may experience.

I would run blood work-chemistry, CBC and a T4/TSH to rule out any metabolic disease/condition. You should also run a urinalysis. All this should be performed whether she goes to surgery or not.

Guest Scouts_mom

I would not be comfortable putting a 12 yr old thru 2 preventive surgeries. She has 0-3 or 4 years left in this world. If cancer develops, well it will and she might die from it. But it also may not. I don't see the point of putting her thru the stress of two major surgeries.

As to the cysts: my vet has said if they are moveable and not noticeably growing they are probably nothing to worry about.

The whining could be caused by dementia or maybe her hearing is going and she is feeling unsure of herself. I'd have her checked by a vet (but not the one recommending surgery).

Guest Lesley476

Thank you for comments.

Fiesty 49, she has not been spayed.

John F & Scouts_mum, Thank you as my heart tells me not to go ahead with the operation. It would be heartbreaking to watch her in unnecessary pain and discomfort.

Tbhounds, This is really helpful and I will ask for additional tests.

Thanks again everyone x

If there is no definite good reason I would refuse a 'preventative' op on a twelve year old. As MP 4 Pack says, a second opinion never hurts.

As to the whining, well it might and might not be dementia (CCD). Jeffie had it, and did whine a bit more than usual, but mostly his dementia showed in confusion and ... well, not really lack of bowel control but lack of realising that when poop was coming he actually needed to get up and do something about it! Vivitonin helped him a lot, so it's worth discussing with the vet.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop