Will Only Go Number 2 With An Audience

Guest Erytheia3

Guest Erytheia3

A new quirk has arisen!
My new grey will only go number 2 if you are outside with him. I let him out in the morning and he immediately runs into the yard, pees, comes back to the porch and starts yelping and barking to get back in.

I must go outside, and go sit on the lowest stair before he will reenter the yard and take a very large poo.
Is there any advice on getting him to poo without an audience?

How long have you had him? He's probably worried if you shut the door that he is going to be left outside. Having said that, I always stand in the open doorway and watch what all mine do every time they go out so I know what they have done and that all is well.

Sue from England

Rocket has a habit of running right back to the door after a pee, even though it's time for other business. I found that ignoring the door and standing where he can't see me results in him going back out into the yard after a minute or two and finishing the turnout. I think it's because he wants to score the treat that he gets when he comes back in, but he doesn't bark, he just stands there waiting to see if I will fall for it and open the door.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Kasey used to run out, pee and run back without doing #2 as well. I'd tell him, "go poop!" and he's go back out again to try to apease me, run around, sniff, etc and not do his business and return. I'd again remind him and he'd try again. He soon learned he wasn't going back in without a full bathroom break. In the rain (cuz he hates rain), he'd fake squat too and not produce anything and would run back to the door to get in!

He's got you trained well now doesn't he? ;) Only sitting on the lowest step will do!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Erytheia3

Good points everyone. I have not had him for very long at all. And yes, he has ME trained, I need to turn that around! Perhaps I will try moving up the stairs until I can just stand in the doorway.

Take him for a walk?

Great bonding experience, and most dogs will empty out faster if you walk them versus leaving them to their own devices. And even lazy greyhounds need regular exercise!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Take him for a walk?

Great bonding experience, and most dogs will empty out faster if you walk them versus leaving them to their own devices. And even lazy greyhounds need regular exercise!

Or alternatively, like Kasey, he refused to ever poop on a walk! Only when we transitioned from a house without a yard did we spend hours trying to change that behavior.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015