Hypothyroid

What can you all tell me (or refer me to reading material) about hypothroidism in greyhounds? Smokey has had blood work and will likely be on medication. His hair loss has been rapid, but otherwise doesn't show any symptons. He's only four, so I hope the medication will help him.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

First of all, many vets don't recommend treating in the absence of symptoms beyond hair loss, since lots of greys have hair loss. Personally, I didn't start treating until we saw behavioral issues.

That said, if you're going to treat him, put him on the name brand, Soloxine. In my experience, when you go for the generics, they change them up all the time and it causes all kinds of problems (biting and throwing up in my case). Other people report that the Soloxine is more effective than the generics, even if you can keep him on the same generic all the time.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Did he have a full thyroid panel including TSH?

http://animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/Endocrinology/Thyroid_Canine.php

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jay, he had T4, Free T4 and TSH. One of my greyhound friends is a vet (they have at least 10 currently) and I shared the results with her yesterday. He definitely needs to be on meds. What changes can I expect in him?

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

I had a mutt who had to go on thyroid meds. His coat had gone from a nice, normal smooth coat to very coarse and rough seemingly over night. Once he was on meds, his coat gradually returned to its normal state.

There was no other change, as he has no other symptoms.

My mother has no thyroid. She had hers removed. She takes Synthroid and it doesn't do anything to her--but if she stops taking it, she loses weight.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Patrick grew his fur in mostly, stopped urinating excessively (no messes in the house, just the output was insane), and some aggression issues we were having vanished (he bit me a couple of times, no one else thankfully).

Until we learned they were switching around the generics and moved him over to Soloxine, he would throw up and occasionally snap (still only at me, go figure) until we got him back on track. If I end up with another dog with thyroid issues, I'll go straight to the Soloxine.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.