Re-Wrapping Dirty Cast. Can I Do It?

Missy PeeBee's right hock is in a cast, and probably will be until early July. Despite my efforts, the wrap covering her cast has become pretty dirty and tattered. Is this something I can re-wrap myself, or should I have a vet do it?

You! Out of the gene pool!

Thanks for the advice. Local vet (not our group vet who is a 100 mile round trip) checked out the cast, cut off the old vet wrap, and replaced it with pretty blue wrap that matches the blue diamonds in her collar!

For those who are wondering, since this is a foster situation I did discuss it with our group president first. Since it was my choice not to go to the group vet, and not medically necessary, I covered the cost, which was minimal.

You! Out of the gene pool!

the injured dogs (broken legs) get their casts changed weekly here in the ny area. it's advisable to make sure there aren't any skin ulcers from the cast and to make sure the entire area is healing well. i use this when i'm doing a big bandage http://www.soap.com/p/u-s-cotton-sterile-absorbent-cotton-roll-180675 our local pharmacy(not a chain store) had it in stock. a little goes a long way and the leg gets lots of padding. also remember to put some padding in-between the toes. this is a pretty good example of how to pad the toes and wrap a leg. i don't know what country it's from, (that's youtube for you) but the demo is a good bandaging technique. the vet puts a strip of adhesive tape up the leg to hold the bandage in place- i go down the leg, w/ the tape stuck to the dog- turn and then have the sticky side facing up to hold onto the bandage. he uses the cotton padding that i mentioned.

Edited by cleptogrey