Return Of Separation Anxiety

I have had Cozett one year this past February. when we first adopted her she had seperation anxiety. With behavior interventions and meds..she accepted being home alone. We faded the meds after a few months. Even looked forward to it knowing she was getting a treat. Recently she has started be anxious again. She is very attached to me..following me all the time. I walk and feed her..but she snuggles with my husband. She is a very social dog. I think a second dog would help her...she needs to be with someone all the time. We always had two, but she is so active and playful my husband is giving me a hard time; saying the house will be crazy.

Today was very bad when I left for work..climbing on bay window, barking. I left and came back a few minutes later. She was a wreck, panting etc. thinking she was bored with the bull stick and gave her a different bone...restarting the departure routine. I heard her barking when I pulled out of the driveway, but no accidents or damage in the house. I have a call into my vet. She is off today, will call tomorrow.

Any suggestions as to why this has re-emerged and how to handle it would be appreciated

Is she nervous at all during thunderstorms or bad weather? Any changes in your life recently? Schedule change (maybe due to job change), pregnancy, moved to a new house, construction?

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The other time she went to the vet for two nights. She wasn't happy to be there, but this didn't stsrt right after that

Are you sure? Maybe it started, but was mild enough that you didn't notice immediately. I've seen a number of dogs have their SA return after a boarding situation that was stressful.

The other possibility is a medical issue. I would probably do a vet check, run a basic blood panel and then assuming everything is clear, get her back on then meds that were working previously and start retraining. Should go more quickly this time and the meds will also help. Once she's worked through it again, you might also consider leaving her on the meds, maybe just on a lower "maintenance" dose if she's not having side effects.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes I agree about vet check and possibility that the vet boarding was stressful. She had stayed there one night previously and was fine. This time she soiled herself frequently the tech said. Thank you. I will speak with the vet tomorrow

Yes I agree about vet check and possibility that the vet boarding was stressful. She had stayed there one night previously and was fine. This time she soiled herself frequently the tech said. Thank you. I will speak with the vet tomorrow

Yeah, that makes me very suspicious that that's what got the ball rolling again. Poor girl. :( Hopefully you can find a different option in the future.

We wish you luck getting your girl back on track with her SA. We had a relapse that didn't appear to have a trigger (no boarding, we didn't move, etc.) after 2 years of lazy, angelic behavior while we were out. And this is with a dog who is literally bombproof - he just rolled over, chuffed, and let out a big sigh the other night after some very severe storms passing, with thunder and lightening taking out trees in our neighborhood. He now is baby-gated in essentially his own bedroom (an entirely empty room except for his bed, toys, water, and a twin bed he has claimed as his own) but has definitely improved over the past few months.

We've never boarded Marvin at our vet (though we love both vets we use), as he came to us with a bunch of teeth broken on metal crate bars. Instead, we have found two regular sitters on Rover where our guy gets to stay in their home as a part of the family with his own bed(s) and routines. All Rover sitters are certainly not created equal, but I still like to suggest it for dogs who might have some special needs and their humans need to go away. Again, good luck!

I spoke with my vet. she wants me to start Cozett back on melatonin before re-starting meds (clomitrapine??). Give her a little time and see how she is doing.

The last few days have been good..back to happy, goofy self. I did switch up her treats that she gets when I leave. She had been getting a small bull stick when I left. ..seemed like she was bored with them. I picked up a few beef tracheas which she has had in the past and LOVED and the pet store suggested some beef chew thing (all natural). in addition to melaton, I restarted L-theanaline. I had used it when she was new to us in addition to melatonin. I also put a few drops of lavender essential oil on her collar..then when I removed it, she still had the scent of lavender on her neck. My vet said she could stay on melatonin long term as it is natural. Hope she continues to be "happy".

I still think a second dog is what she needs! she plays with me like she would another dog..and follows me around so close that she has crashed into me when i stop! She is very social ..and I think she needs a companion. unfortunately my husband is not "caving"....yet!

Edited by dbullwinkel

To be clear: you want another dog! There's nothing wrong with that. But my Brandi is also a SA hound. She is better with another dog, but still 'needs' me. The SA isn't from being alone, it's from being away from 'the object of affection and support'.

I know..and understand that! I was just thinking if she had another dog to "hang" with..she would be better being on her own. She gets SO excited when we meet dogs on walks...or people for that matter..she is a social butterfly..like no other grey I have ever had! :)