Bad Tummy

Ugh, we are dealing with a bad tummy right now. The poor pup has had diarrhea since yesterday. I even got to deal with an accident at 4:30 this morning. I've cut out his dog food for today and have given him some bread. Anything else I should do?

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest WildSparkler

My girl has had a few bouts of upset tummy, luckily no accidents in the house yet! Definitely with the overcooked rice, use twice the water and cook for twice as long. My girl wasn't able to digest the rice otherwise, it would come right through the other end the same way it went it! I overcooked it to more of a mush! Not sure that it really matters, but I would give her the chicken (or lean boiled hamburger works) and rice mixture in smaller portions more like 3x a day to be more gradual. Once her poos started more normal, slowly mixing her food back in.

Roxy also has always had a sensitive stomach, and had always had really soft stools, but I have recently started her on the Olewo Carrots (https://www.olewousa.com/) I read about on this site, and they have been a miracle! The nicest poos I have ever seen her have, and no more touchy tummy issues yet! They are fairly inexpensive, and definitely worth a shot!

I'd rather use oatmeal or over cooked pasta. Both are more easily digested than rice. If it last several days, try the veterinarian's potato diet. Just google it. I hope your dog feels better.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

You can also try making congee; which is the ultimate overcooked rice. One-half cup washed rice to six cups water. Cover pot and bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir rice and recover pot and simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir rice again, recover and simmer an additional 30 minutes. It makes an almost pudding-like mixture and is very easy to digest.

Also pure tinned pumpkin can help firm up stool.

Edited by Zachary

You can also try making congee; which is the ultimate overcooked rice. One-half cup washed rice to six cups water. Cover pot and bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir rice and recover pot and simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir rice again, recover and simmer an additional 30 minutes. It makes an almost pudding-like mixture and is very easy to digest.

Also pure tinned pumpkin can help firm up stool.

That's right, how could I forget pumpkin.

Check with your vet and see if there have been cases of the canine flu in your area.

Good idea, thank you. Someone at work mentioned that too.