Dislocated Jaw

Guest interpolactic

Guest interpolactic

After finishing her Greenies, Doodad started phantom-chewing. I looked in her mouth to see if there were any obstructions, but nothing inside. She appeared to be breathing fine, too. Outside, I noticed a large bump on her right cheek. The left side was more concave, so it was an obvious dislocation. She didn't exhibit signs of pain, and even wagged her tail as we were about to take her to the vet to get it checked.

Before we reached the door, she popped it back in after 5 minutes of struggling. Has anyone encountered this happening? If so, what was the circumstance? Any swelling after? Our vet said she never saw this before, which surprises me given how many dogs they see.

Thanks for any input!

-Doodad's Dad

Just a thought - one of my greys would chew Greenies and sometimes get a piece of the Greenie stuck up in the back area near the jaw between the cheek and the gum, so to speak - like a little hamster puts their food. There would be a hard lump sticking out - very similar to what you describe - but I would just push the lump forward and he would go on eating it. Sometimes he even used his paw to work it forward.

There were never any ill effects and no choking. I always give Greenies here. It is a customer favorite :).

Maybe this is what happened to Doodad - the phantom chewing could have been her trying to get the piece to move forward.

Yeah. Not a dislocation - probably. Most likely a piece of Greenie stuck in her cheek. This happens to one of mine frequently - he air chews and rubs his head, sometimes for a long time before I notice. It gets stuck way in the back behind his molars so it's hard for him to get out on his own. Just moosh the piece back into his mouth and he chews it right up.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest interpolactic

@greysmom and greyhoundlady, that's exactly what went down. We'll know what to do next time. Well, that makes me feel a lot better. The Greenie chunk must have been to deep in there to notice.

Thanks for the reassurance and advice everyone!