Gentle Leader

Moofie, I have a problem with Melly going crazy when she sees another dog when we are walking. Although she is friendly once she meets the dog, if she sees one a block away, she goes nuts. My trainer told me to get her a dogmatic headcollar. Does it work well and provide more control?

Halting is making a head collar that looks the same, that's the one I use for Bowie. She was instantly under control when I put it on her. I had a Gentle Leader, but for as big and strong as she is, it felt flimsy and I worried it wouldn't be strong enough. Here is a link to the Halti Optifit:http://www.companyofanimals.us/product/halti-optifit

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I've had to use a Halti and not a Gentle Leader on Ryder. Slender faces and noses didn't make a great fit for the GL. I only tried it in obedience class and he had a very poor response to the use of it, so I never got around to buying one...just borrowed one that the facility had during our classes.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Honestly, if I had to use a head halter I would use the Bold Lead Designs Infinity Lead (or Perfect Pace as they call it now). It does not turn the dog's head/neck to the side when they pull like the others do. The correction comes from behind the head, it adjusts to any nose/head shape, and has a part that snaps to a collar in case the worst happens and the head halter came off. I have used it on hounds with great success when working on leash training.

I used a Gentle Leader for a while on Quiet Man, he was leash reactive to other dogs and jumped & spinned & pulled. I always attached it to his collar with a carabiner for added security.

2006_0311Image0004.jpg

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com