Senior Dog Issues

Guest ellieb

Hi, guys. I haven't been on in AGES. I was so devastated after losing Indigo (March 2011) that I kind of checked out of the greyhound community. In 2013, we struggled for several months with my kitty (Leon) and liver disease. We had to say good-bye to him in June of that year.

Maximilan will be 15 this year. Recently had him at the vet for a check-up. Doc says he is doing well considering his advanced age. We did have to add Rimadyl to his meds. He is also on Vetri-Disc, Wobenzyme and Canine Musculoskeletal Support. He gets a melatonin at bedtime. His hearing and sight are diminished and he drags his right rear foot, sometimes. He has stumbled on the 3 concrete steps to come inside, several times. He sleeps a lot. No more walks around the neighborhood. Doc said he isn't allowed to do the full flight to the lower level family room, any more. He paces upstairs if I go down to watch TV. So pitiful. His fear of non-carpeted floors has increased, probably due to the decline in vision/mobility. I have mismatched runners all over my house. He can no longer jump up in the RAV4. DH had to lift him...which cause a "greyhound death squeal". Ever the dramatic dude.

On the bright side, he still groans with joy when I give him ear rubs. His appetite is great. Bathroom habits are normal and no accidents in the house. He will actually do the "show pony" trot in the backyard, on occasion. Rather than get up to greet us when we come home, he lays on his bed and "moans" until we greet him. lol

Any advice or thoughts are much appreciated. The foot dragging is the most recent worry. It isn't constant.

Good to be back!

Ellie

Hi.

our Shana is 14.5 and has several similar issues going on. We just take one day at a time and enjoy all of them! My Dh does carry her up and down the steps to sleep with us at night and assists with getting into the car. Her fear of that has turned into quite the diva move where she fully expects to be carried these places. He did build a ramp for the 2 front steps which has helped immensely.

In this winter weather especially we have recently started using booties on her feet for the back foot drag she has. They really help and she is fine with them on. I would perhaps consider some time of boot for his back feet at least.

Enjoy every moment!!!!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

There's really nothing you can say when a dog is that old. You know what's coming, at some point. Just spoil him to pieces, give him whatever he wants, and take it one day at a time.

I'm sure you realize how lucky you are to have had his company for so long!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thank you for your kind words. I kiss him and love on him, every day. I repeatedly tell him that he is the best hound on the planet.

He was my first dog ever and may be my last. DH and DD aren't really dog people. They have been supportive of my 2 greyhound adoptions and have treated both with only kindness. If I was only going to have two dogs in my lifetime...I am so thankful they were/are greyhounds.

Smooches to Maximilian. In dear Nutmeg's last months, we found an assistance harness invaluable. She wore it 24/7 without seeming to notice it, and it was so easy to help her stand. If you held onto a harness to keep him upright, maybe he could go down in the family room?

Perhaps he would enjoy games that involve smell, like What Hand is the Treat In.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

It sounds like he's doing extremely well for his age. What a blessing to have him still with you and healthy at 15! :beatheart

If he will walk in one, you could try a Therapaw or similiar boot to protect the paw he tends to drag.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown