Transitioning Out Of Crate

Edge has been with us for almost six months. He never soils in the house and has been fine alone in the crate for up to 5 hours and he goes in all night too. During the day he will often go in there to sleep on his own with the door open. I would like to take it away and get him used to being in a "safe" area with a baby gate when we are not home so he can drink or eat. He is a very timid dog - yes - a wuss! The safe area is the mud room and it's not near where his crate is. May I also add that we have a domineering cat that he's afraid of most of the time. Would love to make the transition. How??? Advice greatly appreciated.

Susan and Pongo

Will the crate fit in the mud room temporarily?

Does the mud room have an exit door to the outside? Is this the door you always use to enter/exit the house? Just thinking about possible escapes.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest chickenpotpie

Is it a matter of space? If the crate is a source of comfort and security, I wouldn't take it away if there wasn't a space issue. Lucky has a room that has her crate in it. Its also gated for when we leave and set the alarm. This way she has her safe spot, toys, food, and water available. ( I cushed up her crate pretty significantly with pillows, blankies and crate mattress, which is probably another reason why she likes it so much :hehe )