Is Switch From 32% To 22% Protein Too Drastic?

Guest gryhnd3

Guest gryhnd3

Healthy 4 year old, seems to be able to eat a variety of kibble without any problems. Looking to switch her from current food which is 32% protein and 18% fat to one that is 22% protein and 12% fat? Is that too drastic for the body (would be very slow switch, mixing in new amount slowly over weeks) - should I go down to perhaps 27% protein kibble first, before going to 22% protein?

First group of ingredients in 32% protein kibble are chicken, chicken meal, peas, chickpeas, menhaden fish meal, chicken fat, pea fiber, pea starch. First group of ingredients in 22% protein kibble are whitefish meal, sweet potatoes, ground barley, rye flour, potatoes, menhaden fish meal, canola oil, ground flaxseed.

Any reason you're switching? I like to keep protein levels at mid-20s and up for young active dogs.

At any rate, I wouldn't think a gradual downshift in protein level would cause GI upset.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest gryhnd3

I'm switching to save a little money and also to give her variety. I wasn't thinking of GI upset, guess thinking of other problems with the body wrt protein, 32 to 22 seems like a big drop to me, wanted to see what others thought. I'll keep looking for something 25-28% to try. She is very active.

thin skinned dogs seem to need a fat content around 14% and protein around 22-24% to maintain good coat and skin. i think the change will not affect anything except elimination. they can only process so much- you might need a cold pressed salmon oil for the coat. but rocket fuel- the high protein food isn't really necessary for an indoor- non-working dog. with the fish based kibble you are changing to there shouldn't be any problems, maybe farts, but fish based foods can be excellent.

Guest gryhnd3

She gets three wild salmon oil capsules a day now. Her output is a bit large IMO, so hoping she may have smaller eliminations on a different food. Well, after hours of looking...I think I'll try Fromm Salmon a la veg. It's 25% protein, 16% fat, which I guess is still a little high re: fat. The fiber drops from current food of 7% to 3.5%. Normally we have always fed kibble with protein in the 20's % range, just don't recall why I originally bought this 32% one. Not saving any money, which was another goal, but I have used Fromm in the past and feel it is a good brand, and hopefully they are still offering the buy 12, get one free bag :).

She doesn't need that high of protein and fat unless she's working, racing etc... I wouldn't hesitate to change foods-just switch over a 7-10 period to avoid GI upset (sibo).

Edited to add-I'm currently feeding my boy Solid Gold WolfKing. It's a bison based food with moderate protein and fiber and naturally lower in fat. Know about 4 other hounds on it and they are all doing well on it. Not cheap though :-( but, no ingredients are sourced from china either (huge plus for me!)

Edited by tbhounds

i am doing a combo of http://www.holisticselect.com/recipes.aspx?pet=dog- the lamb and rice- 15% fat and 22% protein and http://blueseal.com/files/feeding-and-mgmt/dog-cat/LifeStages_LambRiceDog.pdf- lamb and rice 12% fat and 22% protein for economics. felix seems to need what ever the holistic select has to maintain his weight. he's eating 2 c - blue seal, 1.5 c holistic select and there is a marked difference.

3.5 c of blue seal for annie- she can eat ground tires and still look fantastic. i think the fromm might be more expensive than HS- but it's a good food, it just didn't agree w/ felix. HS has a fish food- and monthly $5 coupons on Facebook.