Any Other Hounds On A Self-Imposed Diet?

Annette

Miriam has has not eaten her last 3 meals (breakfast and supper today and yesterday's supper). I am not worried about her yet, but her dad is worried.

Just curious if any other hounds out there aren't in an eating mood?

Thanks

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Guest IrskasMom

My Morty is doing that on a Regular Basis . He just had a Dental as I thought his bad inflamed Gums were the Cause of it.Check out the Gums and Teeth .

Is she usually a good eater? If it's unusual for her I would be concerned.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Johnny is on a self imposed diet....it consists of eating anything he can beg, except chocolate! :rofl

But seriously, my bridge kid Mulder used to have days when he would starve himself, he seemed to know what was good for him....I wouldn't worry unless it goes on too long (no longer than 24 hours)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Is she usually a good eater? If it's unusual for her I would be concerned.

I am not really concerned. Roy is just a big worrier and wanted me to find out if any other hounds out there are on hunger strikes. Miriam is an up and down eater. She has actually gained weight in the last month since Pogo has joined the family so there is no reason to worry about starvation.

Now, if I suddenly stopped eating, I don't know that Roy would notice.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I have a hound like that. He'll miss meals, sometimes one of the two daily meals, sometimes two days (all meals) and sometimes he's off-and-on for a week. He's always been a fussy eater. I don't worry unless it goes on too long or he's obviously not feeling good.

Actually I do worry a little bit because he's skinny to start with. If he doesn't eat he loses weight fast. But I can usually tempt him with something.

Anyway, if he's off his food for more than 48 hours or he seems unwell in any other way, I'd get him checked. I do with Jeffie, too. But mostly he's fine. :)

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Sometimes mine will skip a couple of meals if he's eaten a lot previously. He did that when he was younger, but rarely does it now. He's never been food-motivated, so to encourage him to eat over the last few years I've been spicing up his food with Stella and Chewy's, which he loves.

Guest elizabeth7418

Addy used to drive me nuts when she would do this and I would freak out. I thought that she was just a super picky eater, but after seeing a vet about it this summer, we believe she has IBS/IBD (not confirmed via biopsy, though), and is being treated as such. Consequently, she has good days where she eats everything and bad days where she isn't really interested in food (due to not feeling well, and then she feels even worse because she didn't eat, and it's a nasty cycle). I can always get her to eat cooked chicken, though - it's her kibble and canned food that she's not interested in. I agree with the others that if it goes on for too long to get her checked out.