New Here :)

Guest GreytMom15

Guest GreytMom15

Hello! Thought I'd introduce myself here. We're in the process of adopting a retired racer. We've had two home visits and she gets along very well with our current dog and cat! Whew! She's so sweet and we can't wait for her to move in. My question is regarding flea/tick treatment. What do you use and/or what has your vet recommended? Our first dog is on Vectra. He's a goldendoodle and has had no issues with it and it is very effective. I realize that a greyhound may need a treatment that doesn't contain certain active ingredients. So, what do you use? Thanks so much and I look forward to being a part of these boards!

If necessary, I use K9 Advantix II. I say if necessary because I had two summers/years where Annie had no fleas so I used nothing. Just this week, though, I found evidence of fleas so put the Advantix II on her. It's not supposed to be used around cats. I have a cat and for the most part, they ignore each other. They certainly don't get close enough for the cat to be harmed by the flea treatment so I don't worry.

ETA: Forgot to say welcome. You'll have such fun with your new addition.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest GreytMom15

If necessary, I use K9 Advantix II. I say if necessary because I had two summers/years where Annie had no fleas so I used nothing. Just this week, though, I found evidence of fleas so put the Advantix II on her. It's not supposed to be used around cats. I have a cat and for the most part, they ignore each other. They certainly don't get close enough for the cat to be harmed by the flea treatment so I don't worry.

ETA: Forgot to say welcome. You'll have such fun with your new addition.

Thank you for the welcome and info! Our group that we're adopting from said that they're using Advantage (not Advantix) but I'm wondering if it's the same thing. We do have a cat and they get along well judging from her visits, but the greyhound isn't with us yet so I'm not sure if she and the cat will just live peacefully and ignore each other or if they'll be the cuddling duo! lol Time will tell!

Guest PiagetsMom

Don't know where you're located - living here in the city of Houston, ticks are not a problem, but fleas sure can be. I've used the Trifexis for quite some time on my pups. It works well, much better than the topical application flea/tick treatment did, and they've not had any issue with it. I have had to be creative in giving it to them, though, as they aren't crazy about the taste.

Good luck in your adoption process, and "Welcome"! :)

Guest Lygracilux

Welcome to GT. And congrats on your new girl to be. (Thats awesome that she gets along with your kitty too)

We use Sentinel with no problems. It protects against fleas, heart worm and other parasites, so no need to buy two different things. Plus its very cost effective.

Goodluck and post photos once you get her!

Guest GreytMom15

Thanks everyone for your "welcomes" and suggestions. I spoke with our vet's office and they mentioned Nex Guard which is a chewable. Our goldendoodle is on Vectra now. Ideally, it'd be nice to have both dogs on the same type, but of course if the grey gal needs something different then of course we'll go with that. Here in Ohio we DO have a pretty big tick problem so we need to be proactive when it comes to those little suckers!

Welcome from Delaware. We use Frontline plus here. No issues, no fleas. One of my dogs had skin problems with the Advantix.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Bean_Scotch

Welcome from Indiana! We use Interceptor Spectrum year round and between May to November I alternate Frontline Plus and Certifect as well. No fleas. No ticks. No worms.

Welcome!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest GreytMom15

I use Vectra 3D on all 3 of my greyhounds. No one has had any issues with it. Last year we had a rough time with fleas until we switched to the Vectra.Congratulations on your new pup!

We currently have Vectra on our golden doodle and we haven't seen a single flea or tick. So we know it works! Our rescue organization is giving our new grey Advantix II. It will be her first treatment since they got her from W.Va. so we're anxious to see and hoping she doesn't have a reaction. Ideally it would be nice to have both dogs on Vectra so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the kind welcome!

Welcome! Advantage and K9 Advantix are two different products made by the same company. I use Advantage on my hounds. Advantix has permethrin in it, which I prefer not to risk on greyhounds. However, there appear to be lots of people who use Vectra and Advantix on greyhounds with no ill effects. Here's info from www.petshopmax.com that's similar to what I've found on other internet sites. Note the cat warning:

What is the difference between Advantage and K9 Advantix?

Advantage and K9 Advantix are made by the same manufacturer – Bayer. They both contain an ingredient called imidacloprid, which kills adult fleas, as well as flea larvae on cats and dogs for up to a month after application. It also has a claim to kill lice for up to 6 weeks in dogs. As both products contain the same ingredient for flea control they have a similar activity against fleas. Advantage and K9 Advantix both kill 98-100% of fleas on a dog within 12 hours.

The difference between K9 Advantix and Advantage is that Advantix also contains permethrin, an ingredient which repels and kills ticks, mosquitoes and sand flies for up to a month. K9 Advantix is registered for the treatment and control of deer ticks (the major carrier of Lyme disease), American dog ticks, Brown dog ticks and lone star ticks. Permethrin is highly toxic to cats, so Advantix is only for use in dogs.

If you have dogs and live in an area where ticks are a problem, Advantix would be the better product to use. In households where dogs and cats socialize closely it is recommended that you don’t use Advantix due to the serious harmful effects that this product has on cats and Advantage is preferred.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter