Cut-Up Paw Pads

a_daerr

We did a five-mile hike yesterday with semi-rough terrain. I think we might have overdone it, because Henry's pads are cut-up. He's having a really rough time walking today. There were a few spots where small parts of the pad were torn and just hanging there. I clipped the dead skin away, flushed with chlorhexadine, and applied ABX ointment. Is there anything else I can do to help him? Would a Therapaw be appropriate? Or is there a specific ointment I should run out and get?

ETA: These are more blisters than actual "cuts." The photo isn't Henry, but this is almost exactly what his foot looks like:

5750537377_3e10523e73_z.jpg

Edited by a_daerr

I think you should definitely use the therapaw when you go outside. And maybe inside if he licks. And keep him off his feet as much as possible for a few days. Poor guy! :kiss2

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My hounds have done this lure coursing, and even just running at the park on dry ground. Therapaws may help with comfort while walking for the first few days. I don't really do anything to treat these. And this is the one injury that I don't even try to prevent licking. They're usually much more comfortable after 2-3 days, and are usually completely healed up within 10-14 days.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest homebase004

Our Odie had a similar injury. We used Wound Honey and kept it wrapped for the first few days and once it started to heal we left it uncovered. We did put a boot on him when he went for a walk to keep it clean.

Hope it heals soon!

Just seeing this. Joe does it a lot when he runs at Mary Pat's. I use non-stick pads and vet-wrap for a couple days, with Paws booties to go outside, then graduate him to a sock. He's a pretty serious licker, so wounds have to be covered. Oh, and Rimadyl. I believe in drugs.

Hope Henry is feeling better today.