Need Help With Limping--Did We Miss The Mark With The Xrays?

We were in a very similar situation with Diamond. Her Osteo was missed by two vets and a Chief Surgeon on three sets of X-rays. We tried cold laser until that made things worse - at that point, she was diagnosed with Osteo by a neurologist via MRI.

I hope you have better news and that someone can give you some answers.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Have you been able to get in touch with the ortho? I'm concerned that with the amount of medication you're giving that the pain is not decreasing. I think an NSAID might be wise until you get this sorted out and I would press on getting those new x-rays sooner than later. Even if this isn't osteo and it's muscular, an NSAID would be a normal med to give to help with inflammation and pain.

The not eating is concerning as well. Is he back to eating his meals after skipping his breakfast?

I called the orthopedic vet again, leaving a voice mail message for his assistant, and she still has not called me back. In the meantime, our regular vet is out of the office until Wednesday. He will check his email and said I could contact him that way if something got worse. Seamus never ate his breakfast yesterday but he ate a meal of kibble and soft food around 3 pm. This morning, he refused breakfast again, but was interested in eating at 11 AM. He will take treats with enthusiasm and so far will take his meds wrapped in liverwurst or soft food.

Wonder how it is going.

If he is not eating, he should NOT be given NSAIDs

He is not eating a lot, but he is eating. I can check with his regular vet about NSAIDS. He said he didn't want to add anything new until Seamus had been on the regimen of three times a day on the GAB and tramadol for several days.

We were in a very similar situation with Diamond. Her Osteo was missed by two vets and a Chief Surgeon on three sets of X-rays. We tried cold laser until that made things worse - at that point, she was diagnosed with Osteo by a neurologist via MRI.

I hope you have better news and that someone can give you some answers.

There have been many stories like this. They are so helpful, but at the same time, they really distress me because I feel like Seamus will be suffering longer before anyone can really help us or tell us what is wrong. Our vet is competent and caring, but I feel like he has ruled out cancer and is moving on. There is only the one orthopedic vet in our town, and I am still waiting on him to get back to me. Should I take him to another general vet for a second opinion?

Thank you all for your advice, experiences, and kind caring. It is helping so much.

S.jpg

Is there a specialty hospital somewhere near you, even if it's a bit further of a drive? I don't get an orthopedist who isn't just open with someone answering the phone during normal business hours. :blink: But of course I live in a high density area with vets all over the place.

Honestly, the important thing is high quality digital images of the leg, preferably from multiple angles. You can then send those images to Dr. Couto for an expert opinion. But if it isn't osteo, then that still doesn't leave you with additional help, which the ortho consult would.

Sorry, I don't feel like I'm much help at this point, but maybe if you post what city you live in someone local to you can be more helpful on options?

As for the nSAIDs, as long as you can get something in his stomach before administering the meds it's fine. You could time it to when he seems to be most hungry for hte time being. They're only given once daily so that shouldn't be too tough.

Does he go for the longest period without meds overnight, since you are sleeping? If so, and he is more willing to eat once his morning meds have kicked in, then that would be evidence that he's not eating first thing because of pain, which was my concern. Impossible to know not being there so I'm sort of just thinking out loud. I hope you are able to get some definitive answers soon, one way or another. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes, I am giving pain meds at 7 AM, 2 PM and 9 PM, so he has a ten hour stretch at night rather 7. I give his morning doses at the same time as breakfast. Tomorrow I will try giving his meds and then waiting an hour or two before offering breakfast.

There is a referral hospital attached to a vet school about an hour away from here. I took Seamus there for treatment/surgery about 6 years ago when he tore his Achilles. We saw an orthopedic surgeon there, and I think I could email her. I hesitated to think about taking him up there because he is an anxious car traveler and not feeling so well right now. I did call around town here and confirmed there is not another orthopedic surgeon in the immediate area besides the one I have called--we have also seen him before.

S.jpg

Does your schedule allow you to push the afternoon and/or evening doses back an hour or so, so 7/3/11? Then you're evenly split throughout the day/night.

I understand the car anxiety - Violet has that same issue these days. I have found the Composure chews help to take the edge off if I give them about 30 min to an hour before we leave. They wouldn't interfere with any of the meds you are giving. She is also on an l-theanine supplement and the Amitriptiline as I mentioned for her anxiety/arousal issues, but I do notice a difference with the addition of the chews, which we reserve solely for car rides.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Glad you heard back from them. Hope everything goes well with the visit.