Recently Adopted Aggressive Male. Seeking Advice

Guest lizbarrhi

Good post, Jennifer. I hope you will save it for future use. We people are strongly programmed to DO something, and that is not always the most useful approach.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Good post, Jennifer. I hope you will save it for future use. We people are strongly programmed to DO something, and that is not always the most useful approach.

Yes, it was a great post. Thank you.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I just want to say bless you for not ditching this boy. I really hope you can work it out. Sounds like he's had a bit of a rough time of it. Six tracks? You have to wonder why he was moved so many times.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest lizbarrhi

I wanted to give you all an update on Sean and answer some questions asked.

The bite to my lip probably could of used a stitch or two but I was able to treat it myself and I'm fine.

Yes he has been vet checked but I am going to follow up with my vet in the near future. Just want to give him a little time.

He greets me (along with my other girl) with a wagging tail and the general goofiness they display when I come home. He does wag his tail on walks. He is excellent on the leash especially when I walk the both of them together. One incident that happened when I was walking him alone around 5 am, he picked up a piece of tinfoil with something in it. I said "drop it" and stood there without moving until he dropped it - it was probably a good 10-15 minutes but when he dropped it I praised him.

The reason I took the dog bed out of my bedroom is because I suggested to me that my bedroom is my domain and for now to get the bed out of there. The bed is in my living room with my other girls bed.

Now for the good news...first off I am reading "The Other End of the Leash" to better understand what my body language was saying to Sean and how to better read his body language - no wonder he was confused. Just making some minor changes in my approach to him has made a world of difference. I am using treats as positive reinforcement as suggested and that has also helped. His food aggression has subsided. And the major thing, his space issues are lessening. He is much more tolerant of the cats as they walk by his bed. And he has not growled at me once. I know that working with him will be a long term thing but seeing the major change in his behavior has been heartening. He does tend to follow me everywhere I go (when he's awake) and often comes to me for petting - which I now do under his chin and not over his head and he becomes very relaxed and almost falls asleep. I leave him alone and let him come to me. So far so good - be I know not to let my guard down. I think the trauma of the bite incidents has subsided for both of us. I work with wildlife so bites are kind of normal for me - which has helped me overcome the apprehension I first had after the incident because I know he picked up on my stress level which stressed him. He gets along great with Trixie, is playing with toys and just seems so much more relaxed.

Thank you all so much for your feedback and support - it truly has helped!

Sometimes it takes a little while for our dogs to settle in, especially since everything is so new. Glad things are going better.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Sounds like things are heading in the right direction. Hope that continues! :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest UnFROGettable

Nothing much to add. Sounds like he is in the right home! I'm also in Boynton if you ever need local support.

That's great news :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest sireltonsmom

It's good you reached out and got good advice and support. The only thing I don't see mentioned if he needs 'his' space is the possibility of an open door crate where he can go if he needs to de stress. Thank you for taking him in. Wagging tails, goofy greetings sound hopeful. He will trust and love you in time. Best of luck in your journey together.