Natural Flea Preventatives?

Guest Houston1219

Guest Houston1219

So right off the bat, I would like to say, I have nothing against normal flea preventative products. I do not want to start a debate about natural vs chemical anything, I'm just curious to hear what others have to say on the topic.

That being said...

Has anyone ever tried using essential oils or other non-mainstream methods of preventing fleas? I read about someone who put certain oils on a bandanna/collar, same idea as a flea collar I guess. We live in a condo, with a fenced "yard" (more of a patio, no grass to speak of) and live in a suburban area, so not super high risk area. Even if just as a a supplemental approach, I figure it couldn't hurt, right?

I went on my first dog haul last weekend and spent an afternoon picking fleas off of greyhounds and have had the imaginary itchies ever since. It's more than on my mind lol it's under my skin!

What have you tried? How did it work? Any thoughts?

Guest Houston1219

I use Lavender essential oil. and in between I make my own homemade lemon spray.

I have too many fur kids allergic to the topical stuff now.

How do you apply the lavender oil? Do you dilute it? Also, I would love to hear more about this lemon spray! Both sound pleasant to the human nose as well! I was fearing bug-spray stinky stuff.

How do you apply the lavender oil? Do you dilute it? Also, I would love to hear more about this lemon spray! Both sound pleasant to the human nose as well! I was fearing bug-spray stinky stuff.

Curious as well!

Sammi can't handle Advantage nor Frontline Plus.

Usually a supplement has worked with her, but this spring has been SO BAD, that I am trying a "natural" topical repellant (lemon grass oil, clove oil, peppermint oil are in it IIRC) so far it has worked wonderfully at my SIL house, as long as you didnt walk out into the back woods at sunset :eek: Then her tail looked like a fly strip. Otherwise, the skeeters up by the house left her alone while they dined on us humans- and we had Deep Woods Off on! Din't find one tick on her either, nor fleas.

Now excuse me while I find some wood to knock on!

Edited by Gryffenne

Guest snowmo18

Curious as well!

Sammi can't handle Advantage nor Frontline Plus.

Usually a supplement has worked with her, but this spring has been SO BAD, that I am trying a "natural" topical repellant (lemon grass oil, clove oil, peppermint oil are in it IIRC) so far it has worked wonderfully at my SIL house, as long as you didnt walk out into the back woods at sunset :eek: Then her tail looked like a fly strip. Otherwise, the skeeters up by the house left her alone while they dined on us humans- and we had Deep Woods Off on! Din't find one tick on her either, nor fleas.

Now excuse me while I find some wood to knock on!

I am in the process of trying to figure out a food natural option as well...FYI I did read a few articles that Clove oil can be dangerous to pets if used to much..not sure how much is too much though.

Guest brit1

best and safest book on subject is by Kristen Leigh Bell "Aromatherapy for Animals" and I have been using her recipes successfully for years. There are some people selling MLM products and recommending essential oils that are costly. You can buy essential oils at Whole Foods of health food stores, no need to pay outrageous prices. Here is a link regarding her recipe plus other tips from a safe source http://theartofdog.com/2007/05/flea-free. I also use her recipe for preventing ticks :) brit

Tea Tree Oil is supposed to be good, I believe, usually used in dog shampoos and I think garlic was an anti flea food additive in the form of tablets..

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.