Herniated Bowel

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

How common is this? My bridge boy had two surgeries to try to correct his herniated bowel. He had two pockets along side the opening to tthe rectum that would hold and catch massive amounts of poop causing him to get backed up and constipated. In the end it got so painful and bad for him that I had to have him put down.

His brother Bunny is exhibiting the same signs and I'm worried about him. He is now on a prescription diet , takes laxatone and cisipride (sp) to help move things along. The vet said there was a small pouch along side his the rectal openening that is catching poop and causing him to get backed up.

He strains and strains and will pass a small amount of poop then licks and licks his butt.

This is like deja vu all over again, I don't even want to THINK about the path this is taking us down....

Guest Downtownhoundz

He was to the vet who did a full x-ray and rectal plus enema. $508.00 it cost me! Not anal glands, wish it was that simple! It's an actual small "pouch" along side of the rectal opening. Same thing his bridge brother had only on both sides. Not fun for them.

My iggy angel Tessa had a similar problem. Fortunately isn't wasn't severe enough to need surgery but I had to keep an eye on it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Downtownhoundz

Sounds kind of like diverticulitis in humans. Any idea why the surgeries were not successful?

High fiber diet? Sounds like no fun at all. I'm so sorry.

My bridge boy had two of them and in the end the scar tissue popped on the one side and he looked like a balloon back there. It was very painful for him every time I took him to get "cleaned out". My current vet said because of sewing that type of tissue and the pressure that is on it, sometimes it just doesn't stay in the long term. She is very GH savy and worked at the track in Kansas.

He just doesn't seem to have the muscle to move much and it gets stuck in that pouch and then piles up. He's swollen again today and I just had him to the vet. I can't lose him, he's my heart boy!

Guest Lillypad

My thoughts go out to you. Having the same problem again with a second hound must be very discomforting. Life is strange for sure, but could it also be a blessing for this hound to be put in your care. You are more knowledgeable and skilled at dealing with this problem a second time around. Is it fate. I for one never heard of anything thing like this and wouldn't have a clue how to address it and deal with it, clearly this hound is in experienced, loving and caring hands with you. God Bless and keep strong.

Sounds like a perineal hernia? Not very common, and mostly seen in intact male dogs...I think this is the first time I've heard of it happening in a greyhound. Are your two dogs that were/are affected actually brothers? I wonder if there's a genetic component. I hope you're able to manage this for Bunny. And if you need to go the surgical route for him, I'd consider looking into having a board certified surgeon do it.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Downtownhoundz

Sounds like a perineal hernia? Not very common, and mostly seen in intact male dogs...I think this is the first time I've heard of it happening in a greyhound. Are your two dogs that were/are affected actually brothers? I wonder if there's a genetic component. I hope you're able to manage this for Bunny. And if you need to go the surgical route for him, I'd consider looking into having a board certified surgeon do it.

Yes, they were littermates. My vet said its fairly common in Boston's,but she hasn't seen it in a greyhound. Said it was a possibility that it could be genetic.