Brushes And Teeth Treats Help?

Guest OhCatastrophe

Guest OhCatastrophe

So I should be getting my first grey sometime in the next few weeks and was wondering what kind of brush to get? I've heard of some kind of rubber brush or a mitt? Also what are the best bang for your buck teeth cleaner treats?

Edited by OhCatastrophe

Guest OhCatastrophe

I can't help you with what kind of brush to get but, the best thing you can do for your hounds teeth is to brush them daily.

Congrats on your up and coming adoption!

I was planning on doing that along with the teeth chews

Lots of us are fans of the Zoom Groom.

Aside from daily brushing, some good things for teeth are bully sticks, lamb ears, and beef trachea (aka moo tubes). My vet, who has 6 or 7 greys of her own, recommended the latter two when we first got Sweep and they've really helped. I buy all three items locally (if you have one near you, Trader Joe's has good deals on bully sticks and they're made in the USA), but you can also order them at http://www.bestbullysticks.com/. We also use Tropiclean, a water additive you can usually find at Petsmart, Petco, Amazon, etc.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Guest OhCatastrophe

Lots of us are fans of the Zoom Groom.

Aside from daily brushing, some good things for teeth are bully sticks, lamb ears, and beef trachea (aka moo tubes). My vet, who has 6 or 7 greys of her own, recommended the latter two when we first got Sweep and they've really helped. I buy all three items locally (if you have one near you, Trader Joe's has good deals on bully sticks and they're made in the USA), but you can also order them at http://www.bestbullysticks.com/. We also use Tropiclean, a water additive you can usually find at Petsmart, Petco, Amazon, etc.

Awesome thank you for all the info it was very helpful :D

Zoom Groom is our favorite grooming tool, although we don't use it very often. My two only get brushed when it's the time of year when they're blowing their coat. Many greys are pretty low maintenance on that front!

As for teeth, it depends. I have a 6-year-old with fabulous teeth. He gets away with just a water additive and the occasional knuckle bone. But my 2-year-old routinely has plaque and 'gunky' teeth. I've tried a million products on him (CET chews, Petzlife, Dentastix, Greenies). But the only two things that have made a substantial impact are brushing daily and a water additive. In my opinion, the stuff being marketed as 'dental treats' (even ones with 5-star Amazon reviews or the ones sold in the vet's office) are largely ineffective and not worth wasting your money on. If you want a treat with some dental benefits, try bully sticks or, if you can stomach it, turkey necks and chicken feet.

Good luck with your new grey!

Guest OhCatastrophe

Zoom Groom is our favorite grooming tool, although we don't use it very often. My two only get brushed when it's the time of year when they're blowing their coat. Many greys are pretty low maintenance on that front!

As for teeth, it depends. I have a 6-year-old with fabulous teeth. He gets away with just a water additive and the occasional knuckle bone. But my 2-year-old routinely has plaque and 'gunky' teeth. I've tried a million products on him (CET chews, Petzlife, Dentastix, Greenies). But the only two things that have made a substantial impact are brushing daily and a water additive. In my opinion, the stuff being marketed as 'dental treats' (even ones with 5-star Amazon reviews or the ones sold in the vet's office) are largely ineffective and not worth wasting your money on. If you want a treat with some dental benefits, try bully sticks or, if you can stomach it, turkey necks and chicken feet.

Good luck with your new grey!

Good to know about the teeth treats.. Looks like the bully sticks are the way to go!! I don't think I could do turkey neck or chicken feet D: hahah

I have been giving Ruby 1/2 of a Ark Naturals teeth cleaning treat every night, and 1 turkey neck a week, and her teeth look great. She is 7 1/2 and her teeth are pearly white and no bad breath. I just started the Ark Naturals a month ago and I am impressed. Her canines were starting to look a little orange. They are a little spendy but I only give 1/2 of one so they last quite a while. She loves them too but they STINK.

Congrats on your new pup.

Karen