Mild But Persistent Toe Injury?

Guest tinams8

Guest tinams8

Lucy has a toe that swells up after she runs really hard. During the winter months I don't notice it, but this time of year it seems to flare up. This is the third year I have noticed it. The vet xrayed it maybe a year ago and said it was a soft tissue injury. I told him I had tried leash walking her for six weeks on two separate occasions, but both times it came back as soon as she ran on it. He didn't have a clear explanation.

She bears weight on the foot, never holds it up. But I can see her start to limp as she is running, and then it swells.

Any ideas on what it is or how to treat it? Someone must have seen this before, it seems like it's probably a greyhound thing and I'm guessing that is why the vet wasn't sure what to tell me. Pics below. The swollen toe is the left foot, middle toe toward the outside. I threw in a few extras.

7BD23C33-E800-4BEB-B763-D5E697B614D1_zps

236DC508-54A8-4328-83C1-83DB8460DF62_zps

A42105E3-6FE3-4C0F-962D-DE9605AFB57C_zps

14E9D564-3F35-45F6-8EEE-9E94DE8C7233_zps

A302AE5C-3D0A-4FA6-9154-E81BECF80093_zps

I can't look at the photos while I'm in the office, but any chance she's dislocating the toe and it's just popping back in before you get to it? We have had persistent issues with toe dislocations with Zuri and there is generally swelling and bruising right after it happens.

Regardless, I would just suggest wrapping the foot in vet wrap before you run her to prevent it from happening.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Soft tissue injuries take forever to heal. My performance girl was on crate rest and leash walking for 11 weeks, with 1 week of longer leash walks, and a week of light exercise. Then we had to work her up to running safely. Is it a toe that repeatedly dislocates, causing tissue issues?

Guest tinams8

I don't know... that would make sense if it was popping back into place before I could notice it. Is there any way to know if that's it?

The idea of working her up to running safely... I'm picturing myself face down in the lawn, being dragged 30 mph while clinging on to the leash... :rofl

My first greyhound had a partially ruptured tendon which presented itself as a swelling on the tendon and a mild, persistent lameness. My own vets didn't know what it was even after xrays so I consulted a greyhound vet (one of the authors of Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound) and he told me to leash-walk him for 6 months to allow the tendon to heal. It seemed like an awfully long time (and he was a dog who loved to run!), but the tendon did heal and we had no more problems with it even when he went back to running. Obviously I don't know if your dog has a similar problem, but it may be that there is a soft-tissue injury there which isn't getting sufficient time to heal before being aggravated by running again.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

My Tanzi has the exact same thing, exact same toe. She's limping right now, but eventually will stop. Then she'll run like an idiot and start limping again.

I've had previous dogs with similar "fat toes".

I took one of my other greys to the vets for that and other than rest, there really isn't anything else to do.

I don't know... that would make sense if it was popping back into place before I could notice it. Is there any way to know if that's it?

The idea of working her up to running safely... I'm picturing myself face down in the lawn, being dragged 30 mph while clinging on to the leash... :rofl

I'm not going to lie. It was difficult. My girl is the highest energy Greyhound I have ever known. She can course 5 times a day on a 900 yard course and still run more (clearly we don't make it a habit, but she can). She literally runs with Ibizan Hounds for 4-5 hours a day nonstop and still does not come in and crash. She's good for 10+ mile hikes and still ready to run. If we can do it anyone can. :lol

Every time it re-injures it can become a worse injury and if you aren't careful you may end up having to take that toe someday. :( I have known quite a few dogs who have lost toes for this very thing and some did worse damage to other muscles due to repeated injuries.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

As for the toe popping, you may or may not notice it based on severity. When my girl decided to dislocate a toe she does it in an epic way and I have had a vet pop it into place. But I have a boy who has a wonky toe that looks like he has popped it in and out without me noticing. The vet agrees.

Guest tinams8

6 months. I can't imagine! But if it keeps the toe from turning into a bigger problem, I can see where it would make sense. We will have to figure out when and how that can happen.

I have vet wrap, in the meantime I'll see if I can wrap it when I know she is going to be running. Thanks for the advice!