Tripawds And Keeping Weight On

I thought that when Henry lost a leg, I'd have to decrease his food intake (the thought was that he now weighs 8 pounds less, so he should be eating less food). But at the same time, he was also going through chemo, so getting him to eat was a challenge. For the last few months, I've been feeding him the same amount as pre-amp, but he seems especially ribby lately. Several people at Sandy Paws commented that he looked thin. Is it possible that he's expending more energy doing normal things because his body is compensating for the lost leg? If that's the case, should I increase his food? He's back to eating well, and he's also very active. We walk/hike 3 miles a day or go to the dog park.

I don't have a good picture of his ribs, but I'll update when I get a chance.

I might suggest taking him in and getting bloodwork - especially B12 and folate levels. It could be that it is a bout of IBD and the sooner that it is becomes a "potential diagnosis", the sooner you can try simpler methods to try and fix it. Changing diet to a unique protein (fish) and doing B12 shots are some of the possible things to try.

Yes. He is having to expend more energy as a tripod. As long as everything else is ok - pooping, intake, not upset or barfing/nauseus - then you could increase his food.

We fed Dude a grain-free diet anyway, since at the time, it was thought better for dogs with cancer (the carbs supposedly fed the cancer). What is he getting now?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If everything else is normal, I'd let him get back to eating his normal amount (sounds like he just started having a good appetite again?) and see where that lands you and maybe up his food a little more if his regular amount isn't enough.

They do expend more energy to move in this new way. If it is feasible with your schedule to feed smaller meals 3x per day, that may help too if you need to be giving him more food. Some of them will get upset tummies from more food + hopping around.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Green bag. I'll probably just give him some more mix-ins in lieu of increasing the kibble.

The above suggestion of adding another snack midday is good too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest fastcasper

It is my experience that they do expend more energy being a tripaw. Mine was a front leg amp and it took a lot of energy to do what he did before and we couldn't go on as long of walks either. Going a half mile once a day plus playing in the yard was all his other front leg could handle. I feed him pre amp amount of food plus a small snack mid day.