Nsfw: Pus On Genitals?

Our 3yo boy Sam has been having a cloudy yellowish discharge coming from his urethra. We've noticed it over the past few days. There's not a LOT of it, per say, only a drop or so at a time-- we've been wiping it off with a kleenex, and it's relatively watery, not dry and not very "chunky." It really seems like pus.

We haven't really noticed any other issues: he hasn't been licking himself more than a usual dog might, and his urine is quite dark, but it has consistently been so since we brought him home at the end of January. There has been what seems like a drop of clear yet bloody liquid at the tip of his penis once or twice, but we didn't really get a good look at what it was.

We have an appointment with the vet on Thursday (just for a check-up, given that we haven't been since we adopted him) but does anyone know what this might be?

GT%20Sig_zpsykmtirf5.jpeg

Sam, formerly known as Macabres Mandate

Featuring his humans Alexandra & Paul

A certain amount of discharge from the sheath is normal for male dogs, but if it's more than usual, if it's smelly, or if he's paying it more attention than usual, it would be worth getting a vet to take a look. Sid had an episode of a huge amount of pussy discharge recently and basically the vet did end up giving him antibiotics, but only because it was actually dripping down his leg!

One thing you can do if the vet is saying it's normal but you're finding it messy, is to mix up a barely warm solution of saline using about a teaspoon of salt to a pint of water, get a large syringe (without the needle, obviously!!), and just gently rinse out the sheath. Do it outside on grass, and just take a square of towelling to dry him off with. Be very careful inserting the syringe nozzle so you don't hit the penis - which is obviously going to be very sensitive - and squirt in ten ml several times. I usually squirt it in, and hold the end of the sheath shut with one hand while I squish it about a bit with the other before letting it run out again. You will probably find he really enjoys this. :lol

Now I'm going to sit back and wait for one of the horse people to post the Willie Washing Song.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Added: there's tender lump about halfway down the length of the sheath that pains him when touched, even lightly.

Definitely going to talk to the vet. It's probably some kind of infection, but he's not having any other significant issues.

Edited by Samwise

Hope the vet visit goes ok today!

Some discharge is normal in all males. I have a "soon to be neutered" boy at home who produces a ridiculous amount of smegma and it has a yellow/green tinge to it (TMI, sorry!) .. he's been thoroughly checked out and its completely normal.. gross but normal. I also know that post-neuter, it takes some time for the amount of production to come down. To ward off any UTI's, I usually supplement our non- or recently neutered dogs with cranberry pills daily.

I'm also sorry but I LOL when you posted about the smell of his "junk". :lol I can honestly say I've never willingly put my nose down there. :lol

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

It was the colour that worried me!

At the risk of being TMI, I've seen a variety of "secretions" in my day, and the yellowish-greenish stuff he had was concerning!

But this is all part of the roller coaster of being a puppy mom, I suppose. :hehe I figure that when/if I have human babies, I'll be cooler, calmer, & more collected when it comes to THEIR weird & gross body stuff...

Guest rarmstrong

It was the colour that worried me!

At the risk of being TMI, I've seen a variety of "secretions" in my day, and the yellowish-greenish stuff he had was concerning!

But this is all part of the roller coaster of being a puppy mom, I suppose. :hehe I figure that when/if I have human babies, I'll be cooler, calmer, & more collected when it comes to THEIR weird & gross body stuff...

I'm going through the same thing with Willis. Oh the things I've googled since I adopted him a little over a month ago. The joys of being a first time greyhound mama Edited by rarmstrong

Now I'm going to sit back and wait for one of the horse people to post the Willie Washing Song.

I'm not a horse person, but none of them seem eager to step up and post the link.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Just waiting for warmer weather to clean my gelding's sheath. My other horses are all girls.

Horse junk smells much worse than doggie junk.

I usually post the sheath cleaning song, but I see that someone already did. Not sure if that version has the words, but our friends google and YouTube have many other versions.

Glad your boy is ok.

Not sure if that version has the words, ...

Oh, it has the words. I bookmark all the good stuff. :D

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)