Mounting At Dog Parks... Frustrations.

Guest ayimera

My old boy Turbo was a large, confident dog and the target of humping and excessive licking. He was targeted so often and so intensely at dog parks that I asked my vet about it. My vet (Jen - this was Dr. Vall :) ) said that sometimes there can be something going on with the adrenal gland that will make a male dog smell like a bitch in heat, and there are forms of cancer that will do that as well, but Turbo was cleared of all that. The vet went on to say that when he was doing his residency in CO, he worked a lot with cattle and sometimes the steers would pick out another steer and engage in mounting behaviors. There was no rhyme or reason to it, and dogs are certainly not steers, but the vet theorized that some animals just put off a certain scent that other animals find attractive, thus the behavior :dunno. As for Turbo, he mostly let it go until a huge (as in 100 lb) mixed breed wouldn't leave him alone and it turned into a scuffle. The stupid woman who owned the dog wouldn't control him, didn't so much as have a freaking collar on the dog and I couldn't pull him off myself, so Turbo went after him and ended up with a tiny puncture wound on his head. After that incident, if anyone went to sniff him a millisecond too long, he would growl and show teeth and spin around. He just decided he was not going to tolerate it anymore.

I will note, however, that Turbo was never, not once, mounted by another greyhound. Ever. :dunno.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

My grey ended up with 10 inch long, bleeding "rake marks" along both his bare thighs by an intense humper that would not let go. It's not worth the risk or bother going to dog parks. I do feel bad, because he loved going when there were nice, playful dogs there. But, one bad incident could make for an expensive vet bill if a fight breaks out over the humping. My dog will not tolerate much nonsense and will bite another dog that won't stop humping.

Edited by cometdust1

There is a very simple solution; stop going.

She does not "need" to run free. Leash walking will benefit you both more in the long run, particularly if she's a shy girl.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

FWIW, mounting is not always a dominance behavior (and as a total aside, I get so tired of seeing is automatically described as such :grad , end digression :P). Dogs often mount because they're aroused or to initiate play.

Good to know. I've never had a mounting issue with any of our dogs or done to any of our dogs, so I really didn't know. The only thing I do know that Beatrix and Celeste are the only two dogs I'd bring to the barn. My barn owner's Boxers and her mother's Aussies are a handful, but those two girls can handle just about any dog.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest ayimera

Also, you should if you can, connect with a greyhound group in your area, they often have playdates.

We actually do take her to a greyhound playgroup that is, unfortunately, only once a month (Frying Pan Park). But she never has any problems there and it's really fun for everyone. I should find one that is more often... if anyone knows of any in the DC/metro area, let me know!

We actually do take her to a greyhound playgroup that is, unfortunately, only once a month (Frying Pan Park). But she never has any problems there and it's really fun for everyone. I should find one that is more often... if anyone knows of any in the DC/metro area, let me know!

I saw a separate thread about this quite recently and I think this is the only one. You might want to look for that thread - other VA folks were trying to work something out.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lillypad

Flying Pan sounds like a lot of fun. I think one of the many pluses about owning a greyhound is the camaraderie that greyhound playgroups have. My question is, more out of curiosity, if there are a number of greyhounds looking for playdates and/or areas to run, why is Flying Pan only once a month. I was reading the thread mentioned by Neylasmom and there are a number of grey owners in the same boat as you. Trust me I can relate at how difficult it is to find a safe running spot. I am always on the lookout for areas.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305735-play-groups-in-washington-dc-and-northern-virginia/?hl=%2Bplay+%2Bgroups

Edited by Lillypad

There are some folks who meet with their greyhounds at a dog park in Germantown, irrc, but that's might be a bit far for the OP. The Georgetown runs still happen, I think, but they don't use muzzles, so I can't recommend them at all.

OP - I also go to Frying Pan Park :) Well, I couldn't last time because I had something else going on, but our boy is super energetic and that run is the only thing that knocks him back a few notches for a couple of days :lol (He didn't read the greyhound manual about being 'laid back'). I'm sad it's only monthly. I used to organize a run in Maryland that was weekly and also in a horse arena. Allegedly, their insurance company didn't like us having dogs off lead in the indoor, so they stopped letting us do it. It was a huge loss. I looked around for a while to find a place to do a weekly run, but came up short, sadly :(

Flying Pan sounds like a lot of fun. I think one of the many pluses about owning a greyhound is the camaraderie that greyhound playgroups have. My question is, more out of curiosity, if there are a number of greyhounds looking for playdates and/or areas to run, why is Flying Pan only once a month. I was reading the thread mentioned by Neylasmom and there are a number of grey owners in the same boat as you. Trust me I can relate at how difficult it is to find a safe running spot. I am always on the lookout for areas.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305735-play-groups-in-washington-dc-and-northern-virginia/?hl=%2Bplay+%2Bgroups

It's once a month because it's an equestrian facility that sees a lot of use - time slots have to be managed.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Lillypad

Oh, That explains that, was thinking it was an outdoor spot. In any case I sure do hope you find something. Like I said it is a real bummer not having a spot. When people ask me about greyhounds, I am sure to tell them ALL the wonderful attributes, the downfall that they need a fenced and secure place to run I always mention last. LOL Guess is just a fact we have to deal with best we can. Good luck

It's once a month because it's an equestrian facility that sees a lot of use - time slots have to be managed.

Yep. Frying Pan is a VERY busy County park. Plus, the facility charges a fee which gets passed onto attendees.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/fryingpanpark/equest.htm

PS - That is me and my horse Gracie jumping under the "Schooling at Frying Pan" at the bottom of the page. We're also in the top slideshow. :)

PSS - The Frying Pan indoor is closed next week. They're putting in brand new footing. YAY!

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest jetska

I'll never 'get' people who think greyhounds don't need to run. For me watching them run is one of the best things about having them that sets them apart from all the other dogs out there.

Guest Lillypad

I don't know if they "need" to run or not, but I sure "need to see them run" I love it, it makes my heart happy. You would not believe some of the things (I am not admitting to anything, ha,ha,) I have tried in my pursuit to find a nice big, safe "run" spot. LOL

I don't think dogs NEED to go to the dog park. I do disagree that they don't need to run free though. Do they NEED it as in they will die without it? No. But my welfare would be significantly diminished if I wasn't allowed to exercise to high intensity. When I'm injured and can't play hockey or Frisbee I practically go stir crazy. Most athletes do. Sure, some of our older hounds are content to just lay around and some may not be as interested in running as others, but they were bred to run and I think most would have increased contentment if allowed safe opportunities to run.

I can only speak for my hounds... but Kili would go mental if not able to run at LEAST once or twice a week and is honestly a holy pain if she doesn't get to run every day. Summit being the old man is pretty content, but I can tell this winter is starting to get to him. He does his best to chase Kili in the backyard without going out on the snow and ice. I know as soon as that snow is mostly gone he's going to go for one big rip!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest jetska

Barbie couldn't run off leash for about 3 months when we were dealing with focal metatarsal fistulation in her rear foot.... the muscle wasting around her shoulders, rump and back were noticable. I think like humans that musculature holds the dog together, and without intense exercise she has much less of it. She is 6 years old and has always acted like a mature dog but I can see that intense running is great for her. I also know that she really dislikes trotting at human pace, so trying to replace a run with leash time doesn't work for her.

Mouse goes stir crazy if she doesnt get a run, chases the cats, jumps on us, barks at us etc.

Guest ayimera

Sort of an update! We went back to the Shirlington park a week or so ago and there were no incidents. There was one dog that seemed a little too interested, but the owner was very good and noticed it too, so he was able to intervene before anything happened. Seems like it's really just luck of the draw at this point and whether owners are being attentive or not. Next time we go to the vet I think I'll ask about it though... just to make sure.

I'm very excited to take her to the (rescheduled) greyhound run this Wednesday!