Aggression

Guest BethJ113

Guest BethJ113

Hi, Anders, my male greyhound of 3 months while laying down in the beginning lunged at me on two different occasions, which I shrugged off and convinced myself that its still early and maybe he was falling asleep. Ever since I have kept my eye out for strange behaviors. Anders has given a "weird" look to me and my father for petting his back. So to the point... Last night I had my male dog lover friend over who may have been pushing Anders to far, I did warn him of all the things in the past. He petted Ander on the floor Anders seemed to enjoy it as he did with me months ago however ended up lunging. Next Anders approached my friend so he petted his neck... same thing Anders lunged. So we let him cool down, knowing that his limits had been pushed which is something I never do however it really did not seem like my friend was doing anything out of the ordinary. So lastly... Anders walked up to my friend and just attacked him biting his leg very aggressively. I really am so disappointed, and I think that Anders has a problem that I have just been avoiding by not petting him as much. Before I shook this off as he needed time (which he may still) and that he was somehow sleep startled. This time there was no doubt that he was definitely awake. I really don't know what to do. I emailed my dog trainer but I don't know. Somehow in my research of the breed these aggression problems were not found and I really did my research. I am someone who has a lot of house guests so I just am baffled.

Im sorry you're going through this. It's very scary. I'm wondering if his back hurts him since he can can snap while it's being pet. Maybe your friend got a little rough (and that may not be rough at all for a dog that's in pain) and caused more pain. Dogs in pain can do irrational things ( just like people in pain can). My suggestion is to take him to the vet for a very thorough check up and explain the behavior.

I would also do a vet visit, check for pain, thyroid issues, anything else the vet thinks might be going on with him. Keep in mind how you would feel if you were hurting and someone walked up and kept touching you and making it worse, no matter how many times you told them to stop.

If nothing medical comes up, keep in mind that many greyhounds don't react well to being petted while lying down, particularly when they are newly off the track and still adjusting to being disturbed in that way. It may be your friend pushed him too far, too many times. You'll likely get better advice from more experienced people here than me about learning to work with him.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'm guessing there is more to this story.

Since you're admitting to allowing your friend to annoy your dog even after the dog made it clear he was annoyed, I think you've left some things out.

I would also suggest that you are not the right owner for this particular dog.

I know that sounds harsh as heck, but I'm guessing this is a dog who needs a more experienced owner.

There are plenty of dogs out there who are can be described as "bomb proof," meaning nothing bothers them. This dog isn't one of them. If you keep this up, and keep testing his limits, the outcome will be tragic.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hi All

I am new to this site. I have a 12 yr old GSD and a 5yr old Greyhound. Approximate age as he wasn't on the track and has no tattoos. I wanted to add one thing re: aggression. Has Anders ever been tested for Lyme? It can cause aggression that wasn't seen before. However I agree with George that Anders should not have been allowed to be pushed by your friend. Looking forward to being part of this group!

Guest Wasserbuffel

Somehow in my research of the breed these aggression problems were not found and I really did my research. I am someone who has a lot of house guests so I just am baffled.

Because as a breed greyhounds are not really prone to aggression problems. Some do tend to be reactive in uncomfortable situations, but not any more than other breeds of dogs.

I agree with George, that your friend never should have been allowed to push, especially not without giving Anders a spectacular reward for putting up with it.

Have you tried conditioning Anders to accept being handled in ways that he seems uncomfortable with? For example, you know he doesn't enjoy being petted along his back. As long as it's not actually causing him pain, you can try pairing being pet along the back with a super yummy treat, so he begins to associate the petting with something he likes. My dog used to be very uncomfortable with people leaning over and putting their face near hers. Since this is something that people do all the time, (even after being asked, told, and warned not to) I taught the dog how to be OK with the action. I taught her to touch her nose to my cheek for a treat. Now faces near her's are a wonderful thing in her opinion, so much so that she's now prone to jabbing people with her nose and occasionally startling them.

I agree too. Anders clearly has not been comfortable - which may be his nervousness/low tolerance to stimuli, and/or partly medical, it doesn't matter - so you will need to learn to read and understand him better, and make sure your friends and houseguests do not push his buttons. Read a good book on dog body language and social signals so that you can interpret the 'weird looks', because yes, some greyhounds are very unhappy about their space being invaded, or being petted on the floor or on their beds. What you describe could have been either pain/discomfort or warning you that he was being pushed too far and was not comfortable with what you were doing.

I would also recommend a vet visit to see if anything is bothering him. Full blood panel, thyroid would be useful, full physical exam with special attention to his back and neck, etc.

Assuming he can't have got into any foods or drugs he shouldn't (daft as it seems, some people think it funny to let dogs drink alcohol till they are wobbly and confused, and some are careless with their own prescribed medication), but is Anders on any medication at the moment? Some drugs make a huge difference to a dogs' tolerance levels and some actually have aggression as a side-effect.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest BethJ113

I am taking Anders to the vet and getting a full medical report, he is not taking any medications now, so we will see how that goes. Also a behaviorist is coming Sunday, and I will give it some time before deciding if Anders has the right home. I think that this forum is for support and suggestions and I am so grateful for those who have had helpful suggestions, however I am a little disappointed in the judgements. When seeking help in a stressful situation, that seems to be very behavioral and something that I was not expecting in a breed that is so renowned for its docile behavior, it is very unhelpful to be accused of leaving parts out of the story. Obviously I am trying to do what is best for the dog.

It sounds like you're taking the right steps. Remember you're his speaking advocate. If someone seems to be bothering him, speak up. Sometimes we (me included) make mistakes. Just because a breed is supposed to be one way, doesn't mean all individuals are. They all have their own personalities and quirks (just like we do). Let us know how his appointments go.

She will no doubt come back on this one, but I think what Susan (GeorgeofNE) meant by 'there is more to this story' is that people do, often unintentionally, leave out parts of a back story which may seem unimportant to them, but might be of great significance to a trainer or to someone who knows this breed inside out. And as Sambuca says, just because there is a breed 'temperament type', this doesn't guarantee that all greyhounds will conform to it.

Sometimes, after a more or less lengthy discussion, it turns out that a dog IS one who deviates from the norm, whether we are talking about 'normal dog' or 'normal for the breed'. And sometimes it turns out that someone has done something to provoke an incident, or allowed someone else (maybe a child) to do so. This may be through ignorance, lack of good care, or (more commonly) with the best of intentions, just thoroughly misunderstanding the dogs' signals or needs at the time.

I can't speak for everyone here, of course, but I am not judging you. How can I, when all I know of you is what you've written here? ;)

I'm glad to hear you're getting a vet to take a look at him, and also a behaviourist/trainer to take a look personally and in your own home. A forum, however good, is no substitute for that. I would only advise that you get a trainer who knows sighthounds well, and who doesn't use negative training methods.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest BethJ113

Yeah I'm probably taking it personally because I'm not really sure what to do and I don't want to not give him a fair chance because he seems to be bonded to me otherwise. I'm trying not to think to much about it but I am a little scared of him he is a bit unpredictable and I don't know if he is a special case it if this is what the beginning looks like for everyone. I rescued him for that purpose not to give up on him so I feel a little defeated right now.

Beginnings can be rocky. Their whole world is turned upside down. Nothing is familiar. New home, new people, new rules. There can be a lot of fear because of that and until they're comfortable that fear can turn into fear aggression. While it's not common, it does happen. Honestly, to me, it sounds like pain though and any dog of any breed can begin to bite while in pain. I almost kicked my doctor in the head recently when he palpated my stomach. I didn't mean to, but damn, it hurt and instinct took over.

By getting a check up and ruling pain out you're taking a big step towards solving the problem. Hiring a behaviorist is the other big step. If it is pain related, have both the vet and behaviorist give you tips on noticing the signs. If it's not pain the behaviorist should be able to help look for small signs that he's uncomfortable before going for the bite. Google "calming signals". They include lip licking, yawning, averting the eyes and more.

Guest Amber

Did Anders actually do any damage to your friend's leg? You say he bit him 'very aggressively' but did your friend have bruising, punctures, slashes or just ripped trousers (or none of these)? How many times did Anders bite him? Or was it more of a warning snap?

When he previously lunged at you and other people, what else did he do? Growl, snap, air snap, show teeth, or what?

It does sound as though your greyhound has a bit of an issue with being petted/touched and maybe problems adjusting to pet life. But it is so hard to comment on a brief description of what happened. He may be conflicted, on the one hand wanting attention at first but then freaking out when he feels hemmed in (I don't know, just guessing).

He could also be in pain or have medical issues.

I think really if you wish to persevere with the dog (and TBH he doesn't sound like the 'ideal' dog for a first time owner...that said, you will learn a lot if you do keep him!) then vet followed by consultation with a very good, reputable behaviourist who is up to date and properly qualified is the way to go.

It could be a 'settling in' thing but if he is making contact (nipping, biting) then it's a problem that you could really use professional help to resolve.

Good luck, I hope things work out.