Advice On Treat-Accepting

Our June is a little "ferocious" when taking treats from you. She goes at them almost in a frenzy and ends up biting fingers a lot of times.

I'm not really sure how to deal with this since usually you use treats for a lot of training LOL

Any ideas?

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Put the treat in your fist. Hold your fist out and tell her "Gennnnntlyyyyyy" or whatever command you prefer. When she stops trying to get the treat and backs her nose away from your fist, "Good girl!" and open your hand so she can take it. Be ready to close your fingers if she tries to snatch it again.

Practice practice practice practice. Always use your word/command so you have a reminder for her when she gets overexcited. Can also help in times of overexcitement to ask her for another behavior first (sit, down, etc.).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I had some issues with Pixie being very aggressive when taking treats, and the entirely counter-intuitive advice I got was "If they try and grab it out of your hand, push it in their mouth, don't pull your hand away." Something about the pushing motion makes them much more gentle about taking the treat. Pair that up with the verbal cue, and the other things suggested, and you can get this turned around. I will admit, Pixie will still take things with a hard mouth sometimes, but that's one of her stress signals, so it is now somewhat useful to know.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Put the treat in your fist. Hold your fist out and tell her "Gennnnntlyyyyyy" or whatever command you prefer. When she stops trying to get the treat and backs her nose away from your fist, "Good girl!" and open your hand so she can take it. Be ready to close your fingers if she tries to snatch it again.

Practice practice practice practice. Always use your word/command so you have a reminder for her when she gets overexcited. Can also help in times of overexcitement to ask her for another behavior first (sit, down, etc.).

Yep - this is what I do. It usually takes less than six goes at this before they get the idea that if they want the treat, they have to be more restrained. I usually gradually open my fist as they nuzzle it as long as they aren't using their teeth.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Wanted to update you all...

I've been doing the fist approach. Seems to be working well. I wait until she gently is nosing/sniffing my hand before I open it. And she's been gently taking the treat.

Thanks for the great advice gang! Always good advice here :)

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Our dogs would not take any treats when we first had them, it seems that we adopted (at different times and from different locations) the only greys that are not food orientated. Over the past year they have learned that treats are nice and take them very gently from our fingers. Try the closed fist and say "gently" as has been suggested. It is one thing we didn't have to teach ours to do. I am sure she will get it given a little time. :gh_runner