Rash - What Do You Think?

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

So Chance has this on again off again rash.

I get it cleared up, it comes back. I have been using theraderm, but today I am starting on panolog to see if that helps.

Any idea what it might be? He has all the hair chewed off there - and it does seem to be itchy but not constantly.

I can only manage to banish it for a day or two and it's back in full bloom; I can never seem to get the hair to grow back because the itch comes back and he chews the hair off.

PS - the wetness is the panalog. It is a dry rash.

photo1_zps8b87ed61.jpg

photo2_zps50a642c8.jpg

Edited by carriej

I am a huge believer in anything colloidal silver. I have a cream that I use on the dogs for just about everything. don't know what that rash is but I hope it goes away soon. . For good!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Flea bites or staph.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest carriej

No fleas... It's weird that it keeps popping up in the exact same location, nowhere else. I banish it with the antibiotic cream then it's back.

You think it may be staph? It's always hard to tell by comparing pictures; but most I have seen on the net look a lot worse than this.

Allergies--my guy is doing the same thing. Panalog is a good ointment to use but, he may need an antihistamines or a short course of a systemic corticosteroid. He actually may need oral antibiotics at this point to.

Until you can get to your vet I would wash the area with a chlorhexadine shampoo/soap, try Zyrtec and continue with the analog ointment.

Guest carriej

If that's what it is, I wonder what he could be allergic to. I just bought him some new treats, but he has had the rash on and off before those... HmMMmmMMmm...

Going to stop giving the new treats for a bit and see what happens, even though they are limited ingredient grain free treats.

I will keep an eye on it and if it doesn't improve within the next day or so I'll take him to the vet... again lol

Finding the allergen that's causing the breakout is like winning the powerball lottery. Most often you will never know what's causing the trouble--certainly eliminating newly introduced foods etc.. is a good place to start but, it could very well be an environmental allergy-dust mites, grass, mold....... Sometimes treating them systematically is the treatment if choice especially if it's a transient or season problem.

Guest carriej

It looks quite a bit better today; all of the "bumps" are gone and it's just red and patchy where he was biting at it. I will keep a watchful eye... :)

Guest carriej

Pleased to announced that the rash is completely gone for now. At the vets advice, I am still putting cream on it everyday for a week until some hair starts to grow back. She thinks it might be that he is biting/licking it everytime the hair starts to grow back which is causing basically ingrown hairs.

Looks good so far!