Finally Said Goodbye Crate!

Guest Houston1219

Guest Houston1219

We finally did it! We said goodbye to the crate!

It took over a year, but it was an accident that made it happen :) Houston is usually only crated for a few hours, longer than 4 and I would feel so guilty, even though he didn't seem to mind it much (ran right in when we picked up the car keys!). So, more for my sanity than his, we installed gates to keep him in the tile floor kitchen. When we would come home he seemed nervous and anxious and had peed on the floor at least once every single time, no matter how long. So, we thought maybe un-crated just wasn't his style :dunno The one thing this did teach him was that he could pee in the kitchen i guess, because he has only EVER had accidents in the kitchen (e.g. if we sleep in on the weekend and don't wake up in time for his morning potty, he heads for the tile and back upstairs to bed!)

So the accident that made it all happen!

We were going out to an event downtown and knew we would be gone until very late, too long to crate him for. So we locked both gates and left, but forgot the tickets. boyfriend ran back inside to get them, but forgot to lock the gate that blocks the upstairs. We came home to find no dog and no puddle waiting for us in the kitchen. :yikes He was sleeping upstairs in our bedroom, completely content after a long night alone. :lol

So being locked in the kitchen was unbearable, but having run of the house no problem at all! We haven't used the crate in weeks, and only a couple accidents (on the tile, of course!) Odd, because training discussions usually say slowly increase the area they have, but for us it took one big jump!

:gh_bow:dogcookie That's one happy dog!

He probably didn't like the slippery floors in the kitchen and he's fine now that he doesn't have to be on them. :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest kkaiser104

We finally did it! We said goodbye to the crate!

It took over a year, but it was an accident that made it happen :) Houston is usually only crated for a few hours, longer than 4 and I would feel so guilty, even though he didn't seem to mind it much (ran right in when we picked up the car keys!). So, more for my sanity than his, we installed gates to keep him in the tile floor kitchen. When we would come home he seemed nervous and anxious and had peed on the floor at least once every single time, no matter how long. So, we thought maybe un-crated just wasn't his style :dunno The one thing this did teach him was that he could pee in the kitchen i guess, because he has only EVER had accidents in the kitchen (e.g. if we sleep in on the weekend and don't wake up in time for his morning potty, he heads for the tile and back upstairs to bed!)

So the accident that made it all happen!

We were going out to an event downtown and knew we would be gone until very late, too long to crate him for. So we locked both gates and left, but forgot the tickets. boyfriend ran back inside to get them, but forgot to lock the gate that blocks the upstairs. We came home to find no dog and no puddle waiting for us in the kitchen. :yikes He was sleeping upstairs in our bedroom, completely content after a long night alone. :lol

So being locked in the kitchen was unbearable, but having run of the house no problem at all! We haven't used the crate in weeks, and only a couple accidents (on the tile, of course!) Odd, because training discussions usually say slowly increase the area they have, but for us it took one big jump!

:gh_bow:dogcookie That's one happy dog!

The same thing is what worked for Teddi. He hated the crate (was very nervous in there...who knows why) and I tried babygating him to an area of the house and he wouldn't have it. He tried to bite the gate, jump over the gate, etc. I moved the gate and he's been fine ever since.

We went right from the crate to run of the house. Never a problem in 5 years.

The crate is still up, and even though we only use it if we have someone here like a plumber or the furnace guy, we will still find Rocket in there hanging out, catching sunbeams from time to time.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Adoption agencies need to make adopters aware that the more freedom that is given to some Greyhounds, the better they will do. Some of these sensitive souls need to be in their favorite sleeping place, be able to roam and check out different spots, or locate themselves in certain vantage points to feel secure when they are alone. Muzzles can be used to protect the house and dog if needed. If I had to do it over again I would have placed an open crate covered with a blanket in the main area of the house and a soft bed in every other room of the house from day one. The dog would choose what is best.

Edited by KickReturn