Loud Stomach Gurgles-Greytalk To The Rescue.

I didn't want to respond to any of the threads I read at 5 AM, as they were several years old, but let me add my tale to the archives, perhaps it will comfort someone else at all hours.

My grey sleeps in the hall outside our room, usually 5-10 ft away from my bed. This morning, Shadow woke me out of a sound sleep. His stomach or GI tract was making these incredibly loud, space-aliens like noises. I was waiting for something to explode out of the poor guy from one end, the other, or the middle, Sigourney Weaver-style. I woke husband who said he has heard gurgles after dog eats or drinks a lot, then paused and said... "but never for that long". I sat there over dog, dead asleep and looking rather cozy make noises for a good 5-10 minutes. DH got dressed and took dog for walk in case the worst was about to happen (preferably not on new rug) and reported he walked happily,peed a few times, trotted tail up and dropped a lovely, firm #2.

We didn't see evidence of him eating anything strange, and haven't changed his food... but both being home over winter break, his hours have been odd and he was getting a lot of treats from guests. He ripped off a toenail over the break and while it was healing we had him on reduced exercise. Yesterday he got the longest walk he'd had in a week, and I made a point of feeding him on time (5pm) and not giving him too many snacks through the evening.

I went with my gut instinct which bolstered by similar tales, said he might be really hungry and out of sorts, so we gave him an early breakfast of kibble with a few tablespoons yogurt on top. He ate like a champ, the noise abruptly stopped, and he went back to bed, unlike either of his parents. (*sigh* Welcome back from Christmas break!!) DH stayed home and dog had normal walk eliminations later in the day.

Perhaps he got used to the spoiling and was "starving" on his normal rations, perhaps getting back to more "walkies" got his gut going, or perhaps he'd gone too long without yogurt. (He sometimes loves it, sometimes will eat around it, it varies).

Thank you greytalkers for being there for me at arse-o'clock when a senior I'd had for almost 3 years did something new and scared the bejesus out of me. (Same thing a week ago when think we figured out he may have SLO--we have a vet appointment to get a prof'l opinion 1 pulled off nail is a freak happenstance, 2 more cracked hollow nails is downright odd).

***For those of you who suggested tums, gas-x or pepsid, what dosage would you use for a 74 lb male hound? Good to know for future reference.

Rocket weighs about the same. usually 1 Gas-X does it, there's usually a loud belch within a few minutes. A second one isn't going to hurt. also,make sure to give regular Gas-X tablets, not the one with acid reducer or other types, just plain old Gas-X.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life