Best Joint Health Supplement For Tripods

a_daerr

After Henry is 100% healed from his amputation, I'd like to start him on a joint health supplement. I understand that arthritis and problems with gait are more likely in tripods. I did some tentative research, and so far, I'm completely overwhelmed. Should I be looking for glucosamine and chondroitin? What about Cosequin and Fresh Factors? Are there stronger formulas that my vet would need to prescribe? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I swear by Fresh Factors for skin and coat, but I think the one that does the trick is the Joint Health one Springtime offers. I don't hear creaks or watch Kasey struggle to get up from bed anymore, and Ryder has recovered more quickly from limping because of it. We started on FF and then added JH, so it's hard to say which one is having a better effect. I know the shedding has decreased since the FF is now working out of their system and they are on JH full time now.

Is there a reason he can't be on it already? (I know he prolly has a lot of drugs in his system.....)

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

While I don't have a tripod, my friend did and she won't use anything except Agility by Life's Abundance. I switched to it, too, as I was unhappy with the company that makes Cosoquin and Dasuquin, they are anti-choice. I couldn't be happier. Doodles had some stiffness in her hips, but I've never seen it again since she has been on Agility.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest grey_dreams

I use a similar formula to the Life's Abundance Agility. It's Osteo-Pet Total Joint Care Formula, contains glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, hyaluronic acid, mussel, boswelia, vitamin C, vitamin E, collagen. That link is for the jumbo size, but you can get a small bottle to try it out first.

Edited by grey_dreams

There is so much out there that it is really overwhelming trying to decide what to go with. Rudy is not a tripod, but he is recovering from some tendon/ligament injuries and TOPS Veterinary rehab recommended Ligaplex I, a packet of Knox gelatin (nonflavored) in his food once a day, and Traumeel for an anti-inflammatory. I've been reading more about the benefits of plain gelatin for both people and animals and have found it really interesting. Since it is derived from collagen it makes sense that it could have a benefit on bone and joint health.

Is there a reason he can't be on it already? (I know he prolly has a lot of drugs in his system.....)

A lot of these supplements have Omega 3 (especially the combination ones for skin and coat, plus joint health). And Omega 3 acts as a natural blood thinner. So because he still has some draining from the abscess, I wanted to wait until all that has been resolved before starting anything new.

I don't believe Agility has omega 3. Here is a link to indigents:http://www.lifesabundance.com/Popups/101011_ingredients.html

I met went back and looked at it, it does say if your dog is being treated with anti coagulants you should consult your vet first.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My oldest, Larry who is 12, is on Fresh Factors and it seems to have helped his ability to get around. The biggest factor though seem to be his monthly chiro adjustments (very gentle) by the certified canine chiropractor. You might also check out massage treatments that you can do yourself.

Is he going to be going through chemo?