Help Please! Separation Anxiety In Charlie

Guest Danileigh91

Guest Danileigh91

Hi all,

My fiance and I adopted our first greyhound, Charlie, in August. He is a great dog, he's just a little bit of a baby and whines... a lot.He has gotten better, but he still cries when we leave. We live in an apartment, and our neighbors have not complained, yet. I still feel bad that they have to listen to him whine and it breaks my heart to hear him cry!

He stays in his kennel when we leave. If he is out in our apartment he will howl and howl, even if I am out just for a few minutes. He is only alone for a few hours at a time, because I am able to come home for lunch. I don't think he whines the entire time, sometimes I can hear him when I leave or when I return. I walk him before before I leave, the TV stays onand he gets a kong full of yummy stuff. We cannot get another dog, and I don't know what to do! What is the best strategies for alone training? Are there any other toys I can give him to keep his attention?

A DAP difuser, canine lullabyes, rescue remedy, maybe even a benedryl capsule or two to make him slumber a bit.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Defintely do some "alone training" to get him used to the comings-and-goings. our 2 hounds did great just with 2-4 days of real focus on this.

Do search, "alone training" and see if any of those steps help him.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Just my opinion, but returning home half way through the day may actually make the task more difficult. It's highly likely that you're just waking him up and then leaving him all over again.

I know when George was new, not only did a dog walker not help with his urinary issues, but it just started the "Oh God, she's leaving!" cycle all over again.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Danileigh91

I just ordered Rescue Remedy, and crossing my fingers that it helps. When I come home in the middle of the day, I stay home for a couple hours before I go to my classes. He whines if he is out or in his crate. It is usually louder if he is out of his crate. I recorded him a few times and he starts whining about 10 minutes after we leave and whines about every 15 minutes for 2-3 minutes.

I started alone training, it is just going very slowly because he follows me every time I get up. I have started giving him a treat when he doesn't follow me. We are up to 20 seconds of me being out of the room and him not coming find me.