Another Newbie From Az =)

Guest somedaygrey

Guest somedaygrey

I'd like to say I'm a new greyhound owner but as you can see from my name, I am in waiting lol Someday I will have my grey. Right now we have a feisty cat and though I know greyhounds can live with cats, I'm afraid there will be too much drama going on around here for me to handle. But I have loved greys for the longest time and am bound to rescue one one day :gh_run2 ... (or will he rescue me? ;) We know how that goes ;) ) Zoe (my cat) is 16 and I love her very much. So I will continue to dream of a grey and will hang out in cool places like this and attend greyhound events :) and learn more and more about them until it's time. Which reminds me....do greyhounds have the "urge to run" since they are used to running in short bursts on the track? Don't they get antsy so to speak? Do they need to run as fast as they can once in a while or are they ok without doing that? We live in an apartment and I don't know if it's a good idea to bring them to a dog park....

Nice to meet you all!!

Meg x

Guest IrskasMom

First of all Welcome :wave :wave :wave My Morty lives with a 16 Year old Kitty ,who just once in a greyt while ruffels his Feathers ahhh Fur . Now the Neighbors Cats ( 8 ) are Free Game and really have no Business in Mortys Backyard .

Welcome Meg......

I adopted Desi at age 7. I've seen him run exactly once. I felt horribly guilty because I don't have a fenced yard,
so we always leash walk, and I thought he really needed to run. He had raced for 3 years after all, it had to have

been a major part of his life. So I took him to a fenced park. He ran one lap & that was that. Then I took him to a

friends house who has 3 acres fenced, and a boxer who loves, loves, loves to run. He leaned on whoever happened

to be close, and never ran a bit. Took him to Mountain Hounds in Gatlinburg last year; they fence in a ball field for

the hounds to run. He was very interested in watching, but no running. Maybe I have an anomaly, but.......

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest IrskasMom

I wanted to add, that my Morty never,ever runs with another Dog around . Only when he is alone will he sometimes run.His entire Exercise consists on running up and down the Fence about the Cats next Door.

Hello, fellow Chandlerite! Welcome and may your greyhound wish come true!

As mentioned, every dog is different. Olivia lives for her walks. She goes crazy if she doesn't get one of them and has figured out ways of asking for a walk. She likes spinning more than running though. But overall she's pretty mellow. Chloe, on the other hand, loves running and needs a good zoom around the back yard to keep herself calm. She would probably not be a good apartment dog. And her racing record was not as good as Olivia's. But the groups around here foster and should be able to match you up with the best dog for your situation.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest somedaygrey

First of all Welcome :wave :wave :wave My Morty lives with a 16 Year old Kitty ,who just once in a greyt while ruffels his Feathers ahhh Fur . Now the Neighbors Cats ( 8 ) are Free Game and really have no Business in Mortys Backyard .

I wanted to add, that my Morty never,ever runs with another Dog around . Only when he is alone will he sometimes run.His entire Exercise consists on running up and down the Fence about the Cats next Door.

Hi IrskasMom! Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome Meg......

I adopted Desi at age 7. I've seen him run exactly once. I felt horribly guilty because I don't have a fenced yard,

so we always leash walk, and I thought he really needed to run. He had raced for 3 years after all, it had to have

been a major part of his life. So I took him to a fenced park. He ran one lap & that was that. Then I took him to a

friends house who has 3 acres fenced, and a boxer who loves, loves, loves to run. He leaned on whoever happened

to be close, and never ran a bit. Took him to Mountain Hounds in Gatlinburg last year; they fence in a ball field for

the hounds to run. He was very interested in watching, but no running. Maybe I have an anomaly, but.......

Hi DesiRayMom, that is funny huh? I felt the same way thinking about it, guilty. Even though I don't even have the hound yet lol That is good you found that he doesn't actually care to run though. They are all so different aren't they? :)

Hello, fellow Chandlerite! Welcome and may your greyhound wish come true!

As mentioned, every dog is different. Olivia lives for her walks. She goes crazy if she doesn't get one of them and has figured out ways of asking for a walk. She likes spinning more than running though. But overall she's pretty mellow. Chloe, on the other hand, loves running and needs a good zoom around the back yard to keep herself calm. She would probably not be a good apartment dog. And her racing record was not as good as Olivia's. But the groups around here foster and should be able to match you up with the best dog for your situation.

Heyyyy Chandlerite! *high five* LOL

"May your greyhound wish come true" <---i love it <3

Was it you that I read had adopted from GPA-AZ? It may have been someone else. I don't have my heart set on any particular group yet, but they are they ones i met recently at an event.

Hi IrskasMom! Thanks for the welcome!

Hi DesiRayMom, that is funny huh? I felt the same way thinking about it, guilty. Even though I don't even have the hound yet lol That is good you found that he doesn't actually care to run though. They are all so different aren't they? :)

Heyyyy Chandlerite! *high five* LOL

"May your greyhound wish come true" <---i love it <3

Was it you that I read had adopted from GPA-AZ? It may have been someone else. I don't have my heart set on any particular group yet, but they are they ones i met recently at an event.

Yes, that was probably me! Both of my girls are GPA-AZ girls. And just in case you don't know, they are having a big event next month - The Greyt Gathering. It's a big picnic with lots of venders, lots of greyhounds, and a Fun Run for the dogs. (But my girls seem to forget how to run at those and just kinda trot back and forth!) And I'm sure there will be lots of adoptables to meet, too!

Guest GryffinSong

hello and welcome!!!

I also wanted to mention, since you're in Arizona, that the AZ Renaissance Festival (in Apache Junction) has a very strong greyhound presence. There's a booth there called the Greyhounds of Fairhaven, and you can visit with hounds and their renaissance-costumed handlers/owners. The festival runs in February and march, and I can't wait!!!

From the website:

The Annual Greyt Gathering in Phoenix will be Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 in Tempe Papago Park softball field from 10am to 3pm. Joining us this year will be the Greyhound Guild in Renaissance Faire regalia!. Food, fun, raffles adoptable hounds! Watch for more info about sign-up.

Guest somedaygrey

hello and welcome!!!

I also wanted to mention, since you're in Arizona, that the AZ Renaissance Festival (in Apache Junction) has a very strong greyhound presence. There's a booth there called the Greyhounds of Fairhaven, and you can visit with hounds and their renaissance-costumed handlers/owners. The festival runs in February and march, and I can't wait!!!

I've heard of the Renaissance Festival but I've never been. I didn't know the hounds were a big part of it!

From the website:

The Annual Greyt Gathering in Phoenix will be Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 in Tempe Papago Park softball field from 10am to 3pm. Joining us this year will be the Greyhound Guild in Renaissance Faire regalia!. Food, fun, raffles adoptable hounds! Watch for more info about sign-up.

Thank you! I will definitely try to attend! That sounds like so much fun and the weather should be perfect.

Ooh, I wonder if I can get out there in time ... was planning to arrive a week later, but would love to meet everyone.

We should have a greytalk meeting area lol. me and my cat will be there :( - haha awww

Welcome to the Darkside

Hope to see you at the Greyt Gathering in January. I'll be there with my kids. I use to foster with GPA until a few weeks ago when I failed for the 2nd time this year and adopted my spooky foster. It's a great chance to meet other grey owners and start your searching for eye candy for your future hound. Plus I get to see some of my former fosters, Like AZGreyGirl's Chloe.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel