Canned Pumpkin

Poodle has decided to pee only on the dog beds. I caught him in the act today. He has a dog door and an ex-pend area outside.

We went to the vet and he did a radiograph and an ultrasound of his bladder. The glucose reading was 240 which was high, but not crazy high so we're upping his insulin another unit and putting him on antibiotics in case it is something that didn't show up. I'm not sure exactly what the vet said but it was something like sometimes gas blocks views. On the plus side his radiograph showed the spine of a 3 year old - only a couple of tiny spots of arthritis. Way better than a 14 year old should be. Dementia may be a factor in the peeing.

Anyway back to the canned pumpkin. He told me Poodle was constipated and to feed him some canned pumpkin to ease him along. After I quit :rotfl I said "That is the #1 suggestion on some forums to firm up poop!"

He said "You wouldn't believe how many clients come in & say 'I read on the internet that pumpkin firms up stools.' For the most part pumpkin just gives you orange runs".

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

One of the vets I've worked with for years told me that pumpkin helps regulate water balance in the digestive tract. That's why it can help if someone is constipated or has diarrhea.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest Giselle

It actually makes a lot of sense to me.

Although we tend to have this gut instinct to think, "Fiber = firmer poops", this idea doesn't take into account the subtle complexities of the gut system. For example, many studies have consistently shown that high fiber diets tend to result in FASTER gut kinetics. High fiber diets actually move through your gut faster! So, when things are moving fast, it makes sense that your gut would then have less time to extract nutrients and pull out water. Because we and dogs don't actually have a high capacity to digest fiber and hemicellulose, our guts compensate by pushing it through faster. So, it actually makes a lot of sense that high fiber doesn't necessarily firm up poop but rather increase gut motility and increase the rate at which animals poop. That's my understanding, anyways.

• 1 month later...

Our experience has been canned pumpkin flushes out the system kindly. We get improved "end products" when we give Marvin some pumpkin, and we always keep some canned pumpkin in the cupboard in case he eats something he shouldn't. The first time we fed him some canned pumpkin, he pooped out two squeakers and some other toy innard remnants we had no idea about...

Guest carriej

Our experience has been canned pumpkin flushes out the system kindly. We get improved "end products" when we give Marvin some pumpkin, and we always keep some canned pumpkin in the cupboard in case he eats something he shouldn't. The first time we fed him some canned pumpkin, he pooped out two squeakers and some other toy innard remnants we had no idea about...

OMG! LOL

Better out than in, holy smokes! Freeman pooped out an entire glove one time. I remember running in the house screaming to my husband 'WHERES THE FLASHLIGHT?' because I thought he had just pooped out the king of all worms from some alien planet. It was just a glove.

Then the next day he pooped the other one.

He also threw up a whole bunch of unopened ketchup packets that must have been in there for awhile judging by their appearance. How they remained sealed is beyond me.

Guest happygrey

OMG! LOL

Better out than in, holy smokes! Freeman pooped out an entire glove one time. I remember running in the house screaming to my husband 'WHERES THE FLASHLIGHT?' because I thought he had just pooped out the king of all worms from some alien planet. It was just a glove.

Then the next day he pooped the other one.

He also threw up a whole bunch of unopened ketchup packets that must have been in there for awhile judging by their appearance. How they remained sealed is beyond me.

:whiteflag WOW! :lol: