An Iams Green Bag + Beet Pulp Question

Guest happygrey

Guest happygrey

So here's my question: what's the magic that's in the green bag?

We are currently working through another round of squishy poop issues with Tatam. After years of happiness on TOTW Pacific, bananas in AM & the probiotic Proviable-DC and ok poops, he's suddenly running into issues again. :(

I recently switched our other 2 greys over to Holistic Select Large/Giant Breed (Chicken) and so I've been trying it with Tatam but only getting limited improvement. (He's still on bananas and the probiotic)

So I'm thinking of trying him on Iams Green Bag, but want to know what the wonder ingredient is supposed to be. I've read here that people say it's beet pulp -- but the reality is that lots of dog foods have beet pulp in them. Including Holistic Select. So what's the magic?

I'm also planning on running a stool sample over to the vet to check, but his stool was fine at his last checkup which wasn't all that long ago.

Edited by happygrey

Guest Clawsandpaws

I don't know, but it works, so I don't question it. Only 2 foods has ever given my boy normal poops. IAMs and feeding Raw. I can't feed raw consistently right now, so IAMs will have to do!

You might look at where beet pulp is on the ingredient list. It is #4 on the green bag and #7 on the Holistic Select. It somehow regulates the water in the intestines.

..and just because I can never resist when the subject of beet pulp arises...

http://stableminds.com/justforfun/beetpulp.html

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Doggone

It's the amount of fiber in the food. I give my dogs oatmeal - lots of good fiber and don't usually have any poop problems with the dogs.

Do you used cooked oatmeal, or just mix in the uncooked flakes?

Guest WhiteWave

I think the fiber source is what helps most dogs. I honestly have never had any luck with Iams. Never had one dogs do well on it. Joey had poop issues and Iams made them worse. I tried it for almost 2 months and no improvement.

He is eating Pro Plan Performance right now and poop is fine. My other dogs are eating Merrick Lamb, firm poop in all of them and small. I tried to go cheap last month and bought a bag of Sportsmix Wholesomes Lamb and Rice and poop output tripled. Still firm, but bulky and they were going 3-4 times a day. So back to the Merrick $50/30lbs vs $30/40lbs of the other, but I have 10 less piles of poop to pick up a day!

Guest OPointyDog

I think it's the beet pulp and where it is in the ingredient list.

It didn't work for one of ours - he needed serious fiber control! He's on prescription - Purina DCO (fiber balanced food) where beet pulp is #2 on the list! I tried about half a dozen kinds of food and it's the only thing that leads to solid, formed poop. I even toss a handful into our other grey's food when her poop gets mushy (She's on Iams red bag) and it firms her right up.

Guest AngelPup

We were having major issues with pudding poop and our vet recommended BilJac because of the beet pulp content. I compared the ingredient list and it's almost identical to Iams, so I went with Iams. It's the only food that Brady tolerates, although we do still have issues with consistent output and he goes several times a day.

Guest FreeholdHound

Iams didn't work for Harry nor did beet pulp added in. I was hoping it would as I can get it at work - sigh. Turns out he can't have poultry, salmon, venison, oatmeal, sweet potato, corn & he hates lamb. Took a while to find a kibble for him but finally did. Good Luck !

http://blueseal.com/product/?id=15

if the green bag doesn't work and you can get this in your area you might be in for a nice surprise! i too fed holistic select for quite some time. the price increase drove me away. a good friend who runs a boarding kennel(i use her) serves this and gets great results w/ not only the boarders but her 10 dogs- which include 6 greys. my dogs are doing really really well on it and it's affordable- 40# for $38! and lots of points and free bags if you sign up for their perks.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/iams-proactive-health-adult/

Green bag is not so good too many chemicals and corn. I'm pretty sure they added some chemical to firm up the stool

Tony

The definition of good is what works for your dog. S/he can't read labels but will tell you what works even if it has corn in it.

How on earth did millions of dogs survive for decades before "no corn no wheat no soy" and "grain free" came about.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest happygrey

http://blueseal.com/product/?id=15

if the green bag doesn't work and you can get this in your area you might be in for a nice surprise! i too fed holistic select for quite some time. the price increase drove me away. a good friend who runs a boarding kennel(i use her) serves this and gets great results w/ not only the boarders but her 10 dogs- which include 6 greys. my dogs are doing really really well on it and it's affordable- 40# for $38! and lots of points and free bags if you sign up for their perks.

Thanks. Someone recommended this food to me years ago and I don't think I ever tried it. It is available locally so if things don't improve with the Holistic Select (they have gotten better) I will give this a try. The only issue that I haven't always found that rice agrees with him. That's why I went with the HS -- it's chicken and oatmeal.