Broken Teeth :(

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

Hi Guys,

When we got Chance close to a month ago; he had perfect teeth. His front teeth were a little worn down, but the teeth overall were not broken, etc.

Now tonight I was laying with him and brushing his teeth. I was having a good look at them as I haven't brushed them since Friday, and he broke some teeth! :(

I don't know how the heck he did it; but he drooled LIKE CRAZY yesterday when he was playing with one of his soft toys. He SNAPS his mouth shut all the time while playing, and it is overlapping teeth that broke (the small ones beside the canines). Soon after this he started drooling and I thought it was weird; but he stopped after a minute. It's the only thing I can think of.

Now, what to do about the breaks? My other guys both came with quite severely broken teeth, but didn't break anymore in my care that I know of.

Thanks!

Your vet may be able to give you some advice - not sure if you have a vet that specializes in dental care where you live. I'm guessing the broken teeth are quite painful for him. Depending on which tooth, and how badly broken, there may be choices like on how to treat.

I recently had my pup in to see the dentist. He had a lot of issues but they were able to fix them. It can be very pricey, but I was clear that I was concerned about pain relief and health...they respected that and did great work. I noticed a big difference :) in him immediately afterwards...the pain from the dental surgery was less than the pain he was in before.

Guest carriej

I guess I should not use the word "broken" as the teeth are still very much there. Chipped might be a better word. It has not broken into the pulp (is that the right word?) of the tooth.

And now I'm second guessing as to whether they were broken or not. But I'm sure they weren't. My husband disagrees with me. He's all "let's wait and see what happens"

Guest carriej

So luckily Chance's teeth are just cosmetic issues... The vet told me he has a lot of "worn" front teeth and she warned about chewing on bones, etc. He's only 2 - so we gotta keep these teefins nice.

Brooks chipped a tooth recently and was leaving little spots of blood on his stuffies. Guessing that where there's blood, there's pulp exposed too. Yet our vet said "not a big deal" so I haven't done anything. This thread is making me reevaluate that decision! Don't want an infected head, for heaven's sake!

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

Brooks chipped a tooth recently and was leaving little spots of blood on his stuffies. Guessing that where there's blood, there's pulp exposed too. Yet our vet said "not a big deal" so I haven't done anything. This thread is making me reevaluate that decision! Don't want an infected head, for heaven's sake!

A broken tooth could cause an injury to the inside of Brooks' mouth, so you could see blood on a stuffie without having a tooth damaged that badly.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Ain't it the truth! This is what Brooks's teeth have looked like since gotcha day:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ygjq0ovq3nknii/2013-10-28%2008.03.29.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo4iilq7aimjtqx/2013-10-28%2008.35.57.jpg

*sorry they're so blurry.

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).