Actiflex Powder Supplement?

Guest Gemma

We've been giving Peyton the liquid Actiflex 4000 for years but find that it spoils relatively easily (the large jug, which is most cost effective, is hard to fit in the fridge!) so I worry about it's effectiveness after a while.

Does anyone use the powder? It's supposed to be the same but it's alfalfa-based to make it more palatable to horses (which it is primarily for) and I am not sure if that will cause an issue. The smallest tub I can buy it in is 5lbs.

So, anyone tried it? TIA!

I have been using it for several years. I give them 1.5 tsp once a day and mix it into their food. They don't seem to even notice it. I believe Actiflex was recommended by Dr. Radcliffe, an orthopod vet in WV. I have been happy with it and give it to all hounds, regardless of age. I purchase mine through Big Dee's Tack Shop. The shipping is what kills me, not the price of the product.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Just found out that friends have started using the powdered one. It seems to be ok. The dogs will eat it on their food. Haven't heard any comments other than that yet because they just started it last week.

Glad to hear their dogs will eat it! I already use a powder probiotic for Peyton so I am hoping he will eat this without fuss too. :)

I have been using it for several years. I give them 1.5 tsp once a day and mix it into their food. They don't seem to even notice it. I believe Actiflex was recommended by Dr. Radcliffe, an orthopod vet in WV. I have been happy with it and give it to all hounds, regardless of age. I purchase mine through Big Dee's Tack Shop. The shipping is what kills me, not the price of the product.

Great, thanks! I buy from the same store and the shipping is killer. :( Wish I could get it locally.

Just out of curiousity, what makes you think it goes bad? I've been using the K9 Actiflex for a long time and on my last order switched to the large jug. I haven't noticed any changes in the product over time and it's taking us a long time to get through it since only one dog gets it right now. I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just out of curiousity, what makes you think it goes bad? I've been using the K9 Actiflex for a long time and on my last order switched to the large jug. I haven't noticed any changes in the product over time and it's taking us a long time to get through it since only one dog gets it right now. I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

It started to smell really strong and sour. Peyton also started refusing to eat it/anything it touched once we got to the last 2 inches or so in the jug.

It started to smell really strong and sour. Peyton also started refusing to eat it/anything it touched once we got to the last 2 inches or so in the jug.

Thanks, good to know what to look out for.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."