Collar Question

When greys go from farm to training to racing, do they have collars on all the time? When crated and during turnouts?

Greta has developed a fear of going outside. She had trouble during the holiday with the boomers, but it was getting harder and harder even before that. The humidity? The rain? The grass being too long??? Who knows. But would have to chase her to get her out and we all know thats not good. So I finally decided to put a collar on when it was time for outs so I had something to lead her out by. That worked so well that its turned in to wearing a collar in the house during the day. When I get up in the morning and get her collar to put on, she actually seems happy to wear it. Tail wags and every thing. Is she just weird? Or is she used to wearing one??

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest Giselle

In my opinion, think simpler:

In many cases, dogs think very simply. They think like this: (A) Something happens to predict a behavior --> ( B ) they do a behavior --> (C ) there's a consequence for that behavior.

In the first scenario, you say that you had to "chase her" to lead her out. What probably happened was that she learned to associate you approaching her in a certain manner (you probably marched over to her and said something like, "Greta, let's go! Go potty! Go out!" = dogs can perceive these patterns). She learned that your approach was the predictor - it would predict something unpleasant. Greta didn't like this, so she responded by evading you. This is ( B ), the behavior. Because she could evade you, she could avoid this unpleasant thing for just a moment longer, which is (C ) the consequence. Avoiding you became self-rewarding. Over time, it turned into what looks like a chasing game to us.

Likewise, dogs usually like collars because they (A) predict going outside. Dogs almost always enjoy going outside. In fact, there have been studies that specifically indicate walks outside as being clearly pleasurable and enriching to virtually all dogs. So, Greta sees collar --> collar is associated with something pleasurable --> Greta enjoys putting on the collar because she's learned that it will lead to something pleasurable.

So my real question is: Does she really have a fear of outside or does she just dislike the chasing game that used to precede going outside?

Edited by Giselle

Guest grey_dreams

Hope it's a breakaway collar. Best not to leave a martingale collar on 24/7 without supervision. If you want to leave a collar on all the time so you can clip the lead on to lead her to the yard, best to use a breakaway collar.

There have been a few anecdotes related here on GT about dogs strangling themselves on their martingales. They are horrible and very difficult to read. Think long and hard about safety before deciding whether or not to leave a collar on 24/7.

That being said, every dog I have ever had has worn a collar nearly every day of their life without any trouble. Granted, there is almost always someone home with them now, but we do leave them on when we leave as well.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest JessieRahl

Yeah that's odd... I've never heard of that type of collar strangling incident inside the home. Definitely when people do stupid things like don't actively watch their dog follow them into an elevator, or tether them too loosely in the car or back of their truck. But at home? Interesting. Claire wears her collar all the time when she's inside, I only ever take it off for baths and sleepy time.

Perhaps I'll look into a break away? *shrug*

Sorry. Let me clarify the collar issue. It's only on during the day when we are home. It's off at night when we are asleep and NEVER when crated.

There wasn't much chasing. I stopped that pdq precisely because I didnt want her to learn to be afraid/run from us.

The announcements for "outside" are always in an up, happy, sing song-y voice. Again, going out is a happy thing. Not something to avoid.

All that being said, do some greys just prefer to wear collars?

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Not exactly your collar question (because my dogs wear theirs all the time, they're not crated), but:

Occasionally my dogs will get it into their heads that they don't want to do something, most often do a potty break in the back yard. "No, mom, I don't want to". They'll jump into the couch or chair and cringe and try to roll into a ball if I come try to pull them out. You'd think I was going to beat them - which I NEVER do, of course - they just turn on the tears. However, if I grab a leash and click it onto the collar - HOLY COW WE'RE GOING OUTSIDE THAT'S THE BEST THING EVER HOOORAYYY LET'S GO WHAT'S TAKING YOU SO LONG????

:rofl So that's all it takes: click leash onto collar and stand back.

At least they're predictable. :lol::wub:

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest Clawsandpaws

Just to answer the collar question, yes. They wear a plain "kennel" collar with their names on it all the time while in the kennel, except when they race. (At least at the kennel compound I volunteer at they do, which is in South Florida) However, it is a plain belt loop 3/4 inch plastic collar, very different from a martingale. I don't think I have seen a race dog with a martingale on, unless someone takes it home with them/bathes it/etc.

Just to answer the collar question, yes. They wear a plain "kennel" collar with their names on it all the time while in the kennel, except when they race. (At least at the kennel compound I volunteer at they do, which is in South Florida) However, it is a plain belt loop 3/4 inch plastic collar, very different from a martingale. I don't think I have seen a race dog with a martingale on, unless someone takes it home with them/bathes it/etc.

Thank you!!!!

Not exactly your collar question (because my dogs wear theirs all the time, they're not crated), but:

Occasionally my dogs will get it into their heads that they don't want to do something, most often do a potty break in the back yard. "No, mom, I don't want to". They'll jump into the couch or chair and cringe and try to roll into a ball if I come try to pull them out. You'd think I was going to beat them - which I NEVER do, of course - they just turn on the tears. However, if I grab a leash and click it onto the collar - HOLY COW WE'RE GOING OUTSIDE THAT'S THE BEST THING EVER HOOORAYYY LET'S GO WHAT'S TAKING YOU SO LONG????

:rofl So that's all it takes: click leash onto collar and stand back.

At least they're predictable. :lol::wub:

Yes, she's turning in to a stubborn little thing. Someone also forget to tell her that greyhounds dont bark. She could wake the dead. She is VERY protective of Mama2 and me.

All of my greyhounds have always shoved their heads into collars when held up for them...they've all loved to wear sweaters and coats too - just hold open the neck hole and they'd stick their needle noses through :lol I'm not sure what pre-empted that behavior, other than wearing clothes = we're going racing.

Pinky was the most animated she'd ever been on the day when a knitted pink sweater arrived in the mail for her. It fit much like the spandexy "shirts" that the dogs now wear when they race. I of course wanted to try the sweater on her, so, I put it on her and she was SO excited she scooted all over the living room, spinning around and hopping up and down on the furniture. She only got excited like that when she wore her sweater :wub:

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but, I just wanted to share that mine have all seemed to have an affinity for collars :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Giselle

Sorry. Let me clarify the collar issue. It's only on during the day when we are home. It's off at night when we are asleep and NEVER when crated.

There wasn't much chasing. I stopped that pdq precisely because I didnt want her to learn to be afraid/run from us.

The announcements for "outside" are always in an up, happy, sing song-y voice. Again, going out is a happy thing. Not something to avoid.

All that being said, do some greys just prefer to wear collars?

Even if you chased her for just two days, it becomes a learned behavior. She'll remember it virtually forever. That's the beauty of learning!

Again, dogs like collars. Collars are associated with pleasurable outcomes (going outside, getting to explore, etc.), so virtually all dogs enjoy putting on their collars.

Most dogs don't/ like being approached face-to-face. Even if you have a "happy sing song voice", they still don't like it. I'm taking care of a client's dog right now who HATES people approaching him face-to-face to take him outside. Even if I use my happy voice, he pulls his ears back and turns away from me. If I take out his leash or collar, he'll happily approach me. I can videotape it, if you want to see that these doggy reactions are common to almost all dogs. Dogs are really pretty simple.

Gigi always wears her tag collar in the house. She seems to LOVE hers as well! If I've taken it off for any reason (after a bath and on the weekend mornings when I let her jump in bed with us-it jingles ) She will follow me around until I put it back on her. She will go to wherever it is laying and just stand there until I get it and put it on. All I have to do is hold it out and she puts her head right through it. She HAS to be wearing it. She is also one that loves her hats and sweaters as well. Not sure how that relates to racing because she never raced!

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Yeah, I've decided that Greta doesnt like to be nekkid! LOL. Silly girl. She has been VERY playful the past couple of days! The thievery has started again!