Here We Go Again...any Thoughts?

Yesterday morning Silver was in obvious pain - panting, pacing, wouldn't get into van ( he wanted to but couldn't seem to do it.). We alos discovered a fist size swollen area just forward of his hip and touching that side of his body would make him cry. Just moved to Houston and didn't have ver yet but found one on GP Houston site that was close by. They did xrays and bloodwork and $1000 later we still don't know what is wrong. Pelvis and spine look fine. Attending vet felt it looked like something is displacing small bowel and "decreased serosal detail in cranial abdomen". He is home on pain meds and seems comfortable and is eating. The swelling looks much larger this afternoon. Am hoping the pain issue is something similar that he went through last fall and got better with rest. Don't know what to think of swelling. Also vet nioticed rash on inside leg. I haven't looked at it yet as i'm scared i'd hurt him when i move his leg. Any ideas? Money is a real concern at this point (spent 1,000 yesterday and several more thousand over the past 6 months) so i can't just keep running tests hoping to find something. This is so frustrating! Wish I were rich.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Diane - I pm'd you.

JJNg - The vet didn't feel the "lump" was a mass but more of a swelling. I thought they had xray'd the swelling but looking at the report, I'm not sure she did. Although she did xray the spine and pelvis so I would have thought they would have gotten the swollen area. Will have to ask more about that. It is no better this morning.

Tbhounds - I see that the radiologist recommended an abdominal US. Vet didn't mention this.

When his pain meds wore off last night he started panting and pacing again so he's no better. At least the pain meds work. I'm thankful for that. I'll have to ask about the abdominal US and what it costs.

Update: Silver's pain seems better but his "lump" is the same and he doesn't seem steady on his feet all the time. Took him to another vet this morning and she aspirated the lump and sees no infection. She has sent slides to pathologist as she suspects it could be a soft tissue cancer, possibly a hemangiosarcoma based on the amount of blood she saw. So, the saga continues.