Chicken Jerkey Treats Recall -- Over 500 Dogs Dead!

Guest AngelPup

Thanks for posting this.

I guess my question would be "Why do people keep on buying any dog treats made in China?"

What's the answer -- most people don't even know to look at the ingredients and where they are made and our own FDA is not requiring proper labeling to make it easy to see countries involved in the product.

And in case you haven't heard, a Chinese company wants to buy Smithfield Pork - so they will be providing pork for Americans and this will allow them to bring chicken in from China through the back door and sell it to people through this company that they will own in the states ....

Glad I went vegan years ago ... sorry for the rant ...

There may have been a new case. :dunno But your question is valid: why do people continue to buy treats made in China?

I think there's a few factors in play. Firstly we (both the US and the UK) have allowed our manufacturing - especially of the 'cheap goods' market - to fall into the hands of Asian countries, and China's economy is on the rise, so they're keen to get in on the act. This means that Chinese-made goods are everywhere and the availability of them has shot up to the point where from saucepans to running shoes they're probably in the majority here and alternatives can be very hard to find at a competitive price. Secondly, people do not check the country of origin and therefore do not make informed choices.

To be fair, many home-grown products have been priced out of the market by the influx of cheap, imported goods, and for that we only have ourselves to blame. Bottom line is that while there is a market for cheap and/or substandard products, they will keep right on flooding in, unless our governments put a stop to them - and governments are remarkably reluctant to impose trade embargoes, especially against emerging superpowers like China.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Why are potentially toxic products still available? Money/profit/corporate greed. When will the products be removed? When we realize "cheap" now isn't cheap in the long run.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I've been feeding Milk Bone dog biscuits to my girls, but I think after this box is gone I'll quit buying treats. There are so many good dog biscuit recipes out there that my girls love. They're easy to make and you can control the ingredients.

Edited to add: I just roll out the dough and cut it into squares with my pizza cutter. Easy, peasy! The dogs don't care about the shape at all. :chow

Edited by pabozem

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Guest AngelPup

I've been feeding Milk Bone dog biscuits to my girls, but I think after this box is gone I'll quit buying treats. There are so many good dog biscuit recipes out there that my girls love. They're easy to make and you can control the ingredients.

Edited to add: I just roll out the dough and cut it into squares with my pizza cutter. Easy, peasy! The dogs don't care about the shape at all. :chow

I think this is a great idea! Everything is better homemade!

There are some days I'm glad my pup is sooooo picky when it comes to treats. We found on at Trader Joes and I usually don't think twice when I get stuff from there. My sweetie would rather treat on people food from the magic box than waste her time on doggy stuff... she's become known as the cheese hound to several of our friends cause its her favorite!

-pj

Guest AngelPup

I just found this whole pinterest page of recipes. I think I am going to try this. I dont bake for myself only because I'll eat every cookie I make....this sounds like a better way to learn how to bake!

http://pinterest.com/bigbark1/homemade-dog-treats/

Thanks for sharing this page! I don't bake for myself either--for the same reason! I'd also be less likely to lick the batter if I'm making dog biscuits!

Guest AngelPup

There are some days I'm glad my pup is sooooo picky when it comes to treats. We found on at Trader Joes and I usually don't think twice when I get stuff from there. My sweetie would rather treat on people food from the magic box than waste her time on doggy stuff... she's become known as the cheese hound to several of our friends cause its her favorite!

-pj

I went to Trader Joes for the first time today--LOVE it! I found dog buscuits with a greyhound on it so I just HAD to get it. Brady will eat ANYTHING--fortunately and UNfortunately.

I went to Trader Joes for the first time today--LOVE it! I found dog buscuits with a greyhound on it so I just HAD to get it. Brady will eat ANYTHING--fortunately and UNfortunately.

My son wishes our puppy liked peanut butter because he wants to get the box with the greyhound on it. We get the beef roll thingies and Denise *LOVES* them. And yes, they are made in the USA :)

-pj